cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old lenses

NanciG
Contributor
i have been looking for a real canon L Lens / I have a sigma lens and a kit lens and found a guy selling a 50mm 1.2 for a very low price. It's about 1/3 it's value and I plan on looking at it. I am skeptical. What would someone suggest to look for when buying I guess a used or old lens? I don't want to make a mistake in wasting my time and money
6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

In the first place, the ef 50mm f1.2 L is an advanced lens.  Most people will not benefit from it's ability.  However, it is the best 50mm Canon makes and I would never sell mine.  This is a lens you can fall in love with.

The best way to tell if the lens is OK, is to use it.  Try it on your camera.  Which is?________  Smiley Frustrated

Being and L means it can be repaired and/or serviced by Canon.  (and be worth it, I mean)

A far better in terms of usefulness for the average user, who is wanting to get an L level lens, is the ef 24-105mm f4.

It can be found for $700 bucks brand new, sometimes even less.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

cale_kat
Mentor
So what's its value. You say worth 1/3 its value but I think you're saying the asking price is 1/3 its retail price.

To avoid wasting time and money, it is best to be very clear. What camera body would you use with this lens? That's a good place to start.

I have a t3i and he is selling it for $485 and when i looked on amazon brand new it's showing for $1,549 so I'm thinking something is wrong with it?? and a side note people who post ads on craigslist can be haggled down so it will go even lower. My boyfriend and I are going to see it tomorrow. I just was not sure what could be wrong. Thanks for the replies guys

@NanciG, A couple of thoughts... I think the value of the lens is very low. I have this same lens and if I could buy one in excellent condition for $750, I'd consider that a very good price. Asking $485 for the lens sounds too good. In other words, why would someone sell a lens for less than it's worth? The only reason I can think of is because it is defective and he or she knows that a photography store would easily determine the flaw.

Have a look and let us know.

Even at $485 this isn't a good buy if it isn't for you.  Why spend even this ridiculous low price if you will never use the lens?

The ef 50mm f1.2 is not an easy lens to use nor is it very forgiving.  People buy a f1.2 lens because it is f1.2.  Otherwise it is just another 50mm lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

We went and took a look at it yesterday and found out why its so cheap. Im no expert but mounting it on my lens and taking a few pictures i noticed it had little artifacts in the image and plus it wasnt focusing right. Maybe it was the t3i too but i dont remember it focusing like this.

The lens focused on some things in the foreground rather than what i was trying to. I dont know the situation also seemed rushed on his part so i passed. Youre right i probably dont need it for now.
Announcements