cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Xti lens - for new EOS camera?

calbearfan86
Apprentice

Will replace a Rebel XTi (6 yrs old?) with an EOS 70D or EOST5i. XTI has EFS 18-55 lens. The new cameras can be acquired with ostensibly the same lens. Are the current EFS 18-55s significantly different than one about 6 yrs old? Will the old one work? Recommendations please.

2 REPLIES 2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Yes, it will work and yes, the new one is different.  It may not be enough better for you to buy it.  But it is better in every aspect.

Personally, IMHO, I would not use it on a 70D.  There are better choices as the 70D indicates you are wanting and upgrade over the Rebel line.

As a general camera/lens combo for most people the T5i and kit lens is a great deal.  It will do nearly everything most people want in their camera.  But when you start looking to the xxD or xD series, it says you want better.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Don't use the old 18-55mm from the XTi. It is an older design that lacks Image Stabilization and it is not as sharp as the newer versions.

I would buy the 70D as a "Kit" with either the 18-55mm STM or the 18-135mm STM.  The kit lenses are about $100 and $300 respectively when bundled with the 70D.

The STM (stepper motor) technology is also much better if you plan to make any videos using the 70D.  

Both these lenses are very sharp and a considerable upgrade from the older non-STM versions. 

Mike Sowsun
Announcements