cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old SLR lenses to DSLR Camera

Krejworx
Contributor

Are these old lenses even worth using on a DSLR?

I have them lying around or do i need to buy a not so expensive one as I am new to this DSLR photography.

http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-sq-300mm-f-4-m42-t36952.html

[Mod note: removed link per FORUM GUIDELINES]

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

In a word, No. You can find adapters listed on eBay, but all they do is allow the lens to be mounted on the camera. There is no autofocus or aperture linkage. Not worth the money.

I am assuming you have a Rebel series DSLR? If so, pick up an 18-135mm zoom. A good all-around lens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for the info i have an eos 600d b
Bought it cheap for a beginners camera.I guess i have to start my search for a good all arounder lens

600D is equivalent to USA Rebel T3i. Look into the 18-135mm or 18-200mm EF-S lens.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The "kit" lens that Canon would offer if you had bought a camera+lens combination would have been the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II.

But Canon released several new "STM" lenses in the past year including a new EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM which supercedes the old non-STM version. The "STM" refers to the new motors (which are stepper motors... faster and nearly silent) But they also revamped the optics and a few other features and the new lens is much better. The price went up by $50 ($249 USD instead of $199 USD for the older lens) but probably well worth the extra $50.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Don't let anybody tell you, you can use old film FD lenses on a modern DSLR.  Even the cheapest "kit" lens will be better and much less frustrating.  FD, film, lenses are from a bygone era and should be left there!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

Yes, you can use very many vintage, manual focus lenses on your camera. In fact, the modern Canon EF mount on your 600D is the most versatile bayonet mount of the category and can accomodate a wide variety of other manufacturers' lenses There is almost a "cult" of people who do almost nothing but experiment with vintage lenses. And some of those old lenses work wonderfully.

The link your provided is to an "M42" mount lens, also known as "Pentax screw mount". That's very easily adapted to Canon EF mount. You'll find cheap adapters widely available the same place you bought the lens. I would recommend the "chipped" adapters because those allow the Focus Confirmation of your camera to function, which makes manual focusing much easier.

A few old lens mounts are more difficult or impossible to use. But most are: Nikon, Olympus OM, Leica R, Pentax PK (bayonet) and Pentax M42, Contax, Yashica and more are usable. Unfortunately, Canon FL/FD, Minolta MD and Konica K/AR are among the ones that are difficult to adapt, or are only partially usable if adapted.

Yes, the lens will be manual focus only. Aperture control will be manual too. Your viewfinder will dim down when the lens is set to smaller apertures. You can use M exposure mode (with TTL "match needle metering" using the camera's metering sytem or with a separate light meter). You also can use Av or Aperture Priority as an auto exposure mode. This will set the shutter speed according to whatever aperture and ISO you set manually.

More info about using vintage, manual focus lenses on modern Canon cameras can be found here, at Bob Atkin's website.

Have fun experimenting!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

yes you are right,if i want to experiment on how vintage lens perform on dslr would be another journey.cheers.
Announcements