cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob question 2, My zoom lens isn't retracting / extracting.

StevieGMovies
Contributor

Hey guys,

Again i'm a total noob and this may seem stupid but i'm baffled. 

I have a canon m50 - my first camera ever ! 

I have the 15-45mm kit lens. I'm getting some ok images out of it but in auto fucus mode

i thought the lens should be moving in and out and the end focus shoud be turning ? 

Noting on the lens movos, it works for manual as i can extend the zoom.

Am i being a total pleb or is the lens broke / not set up right ? 

Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9

I think you're confusing the zoom with the focus. The zoom won't change automatically, and not all lenses move in and out when focusing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you bob,

How do i find out if the 15-45mm lens should move in and out automatically ? 

It hasen't ever moved in or out automatically since i first put it on. i bought new boxed so didn't

think it would be faulty ? 

@StevieGMovies wrote:

Thank you bob,

It hasen't ever moved in or out automatically since i first put it on. i bought new boxed so didn't

According to the poduct description by canon the lens should retract slightly when you powerd own the camera.

If that isn't happening it may be defective.

"

Overview

The EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM is a compact, stylish zoom lens for EOS M series digital cameras. A special retraction mechanism shortens the length of the lens to just 1.76 inches (44.5mm) when the camera is off, to help make carrying and storing the lens and camera even easier. The quiet stepping motor (STM) design helps ensure low-noise focusing that's ideal for recording movies. The 35mm-equivalent 24-72mm range combines a wide angle for landscapes and big group photos, with a telephoto zoom for close-ups and detailed headshots. Carefully designed lens placement and special Canon coatings help keep ghosting and other lens flare from your images. The integral image stabilization (up to 3.5 stops faster) can help capture sharp images, even in low light and while taking panoramas."

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@StevieGMovies wrote:

Thank you bob,

According to the poduct description by canon the lens should retract slightly when you powerd own the camera.

"

Overview

The EF-M 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM is a compact, stylish zoom lens for EOS M series digital cameras. A special retraction mechanism shortens the length of the lens to just 1.76 inches (44.5mm) when the camera is off, to help make carrying and storing the lens and camera even easier. The quiet stepping motor (STM) design helps ensure low-noise focusing that's ideal for recording movies. The 35mm-equivalent 24-72mm range combines a wide angle for landscapes and big group photos, with a telephoto zoom for close-ups and detailed headshots. Carefully designed lens placement and special Canon coatings help keep ghosting and other lens flare from your images. The integral image stabilization (up to 3.5 stops faster) can help capture sharp images, even in low light and while taking panoramas."

It's definately faulty then. Not sure wheat i should do because i bought it privately on ebay (not from a store) 

I'll give the seller ahout. 

Thanks 

@StevieGMovies wrote:

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

"

Overview

It's definately faulty then. Not sure wheat i should do because i bought it privately on ebay (not from a store) 

Thanks 

This is NOT an auto retract lens. It is Not faulty. This is a manual retract lens that uses a manual switch on the side of the lens to lock or unlock the retract mechanism. 

Clipboard01.jpg

Watch these two videos to see how it works:  

https://youtu.be/waBde6-ogbM?t=140

https://youtu.be/4KK6gUS7Z-I?t=27

_001.jpg

Lenses like the EF 40mm STM or EF-S 24 STM have an auto retract feature that moves the focus to infinity so that the front element retracts when you turn off the camera.

Auto lens retract only works with newer cameras that have that option in the menu, and only with some  "focus by wire" STM lenses where the front element extends as you focus.   

Here is a quick video I made that shows how the Auto Retract works:

https://youtu.be/pQeUtkFhqHQ

_002.jpg

Mike Sowsun

@StevieGMovies wrote:

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

@StevieGMovies wrote:

Thanks 

Are you expecting the lens to extend or retract on its own as it zooms, and changes focal length?  If so, then you are mistaken.  The zoom ring must be manually operated when the camera is in use.  

The power-off retracting feature may not really apply to every lens that you might use.  As has been already pointed out, not every lens changes length when focusing or zooming.  Not every lens has a front element that turns when zooming or focusing, which is not a desireable characteristic to have in a lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This, as with your other question regarding WB.  I sugest you reset the camera to defaults and ensure it is functioning properly.  When unexpected behavior ocurrs, this is what we recommend in order to verify correct and proper function.  It also returns you to a known good starting point which we can use to start from when you are getting what you expect from the camera. 

Edit...  whoops, Bob posted before I refreshed my screen.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Again i'm a total noob and this may seem stupid but i'm baffled."

Have you given reading the manual a thought?  Might be worthwhile.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes thanks so much for your help. I really should have just come to you in the beginning. so much help. 

Any other suggestions ? 

Announcements