Canon Community Canon Community

Respected Contributor

Re: Noob going on Safari

[ Edited ]

I have both the Tamron 150-600mm version 1 and the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary. I overwhelmingly prefer the Sigma over the Tamron. Better build, better IQ, better AF and better price.

I don't know about the version 2 because I refuse to buy another Tamron lens after the version 1 mount broke on me and Tamron refuses to fix it under warranty.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
VIP

" I overwhelmingly prefer the Sigma over the Tamron"

Was true before the G2 came out.  The G2 is not only the better choice it is the best choice barring the top of the mark Siggy S. One thing right on top is the Tamron G2 is weather sealed to a degree the Sigma is not. Been using all four for quite some time now and the G2 is a worthwhile upgrade.

"Tamron refuses to fix it under warranty."

I am surprised!  Tamron has been upping their game in the CS area.  Of course I don't know the details, you could have broken it yourself through miss-use. However, Tamron is not Canon.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, along with less other stuff.
Respected Contributor

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Tamron refuses to fix it under warranty."

I am surprised!  Tamron has been upping their game in the CS area.  Of course I don't know the details, you could have broken it yourself through miss-use. However, Tamron is not Canon.

I didn't misuse it even though I used the lens every weekend for several years, being a BIF shooter.  This is a bit more than most people who use this kind of lenses.  The Tamron mount is weak and one day the lens just fell off the camera, literally. I caught it in since one hand was on the lens (still proud of myself, nonetheless).  

Tamron claimed I misused it.  I really don't know how, though.  I always hold the lens, not the camera during transport.  There are brief times I wear the strap which were attached to the camera, not the lens.  If this is misuse then so be it... None of the Canon lenses have this problem...Tamron uses cheap steel or aluminum...that's all.  There was zero damage to the camera mount, which is made by Canon.   By the way, the lesson learned is, for such a heavy lens, put the strap on the lens tripod mount, not the camera to save the stress on the mount.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Highlighted
VIP

Sorry for your experience..  My experience with the big Tamron's (I have/had two, the N mount and the C mount) has been different. But again like I said, Tamron is not Canon. If you expect Canon quality at a Tamron price you will be disappointed.

The G2 is a different animal. Don't hurt yourself buy ignoring this good lens. You aren't hurting Tamron!

BTW, I never, never attach a strap to the camera when using these bigger lenses. I do use a Black Rapid Sport a lot of the time but like I said it goes on the lens.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, along with less other stuff.