Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Non-L 70-300 Canon Lenses

Trevor, we see your PM on TV from time to time, and all I can say is that you are lucky to have her. Speaking only for myself, because this is not a political forum, I am humiliated by the inevitable comparison to our situation.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
Reputable Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Trevor, we see your PM on TV from time to time, and all I can say is that you are lucky to have her. Speaking only for myself, because this is not a political forum, I am humiliated by the inevitable comparison to our situation.

Of course NZ and the USA have very different cultures, histories and political structures, so it's hard to make too many comparisons.  That said, as far a her popularity and support goes, I sure feel that way and so do most of the country.  She conducts herself with a discipline of politeness and compassion, while still delivering the hard decisions.  She is an amazing communicator.  There are inevitably groups who seek to find fault, or whose business interests, philosophies or political agendas run contrary to hers, but she doesn't rise to their baiting. We are well aware that she is almost unique in the world right now.

I am also blindsided that she is in an election year, releasing a budget this week and of course is struggling to get her daughter potty trained (she describes that as a total fail so far!). In her spare time, when she gets some, she likes to DJ!   Her humanity and lack of aggrandisement really strike a chord with Kiwis, who are not into elitism. 

I recall the previous female PM, Helen Clark getting on a normal flight from Wellington (the capital) to Auckland (our biggest city and her residence).  She was just like any other passenger and apart from having a security guard in the seat directly behind her and her aid on either side she hung in for her coffee and cookies like the rest of us on the flight and waited her turn like everyone else to get off.

She was famous for using a Honda 50cc moped as her personal transport (with a security car behind).  That is now in our Museum of Transport and Technology!

IMG_0104 - Copy.JPG

cheers Trevor
"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
"A good swordsman is more important than a good sword" Amit Kalantri
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have always pictured NZ as being paradise and you have confirmed that with your description of your PM!

I received my amateur radio license a long time ago when I was 14 and it was common to exchange a postcard size piece of paper called a "QSL card" to confirm contact between two stations.  The very first foreign QSL card I received was one confirming contact with another ham radio operator on the north island.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Highlighted
Reputable Contributor

@wq9nsc wrote:

I have always pictured NZ as being paradise and you have confirmed that with your description of your PM!

I received my amateur radio license a long time ago when I was 14 and it was common to exchange a postcard size piece of paper called a "QSL card" to confirm contact between two stations.  The very first foreign QSL card I received was one confirming contact with another ham radio operator on the north island.

Rodger

Assuming international travel returns in our lifetimes you should come over and visit NZ.  It's like a trip around the world in one country.  1/3 or our land mass is conservation land and they don't charge to visit our national parks, just to stay in our excellent 1,000+ hut network or to camp!

cheers Trevor
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Highlighted
Reputable Contributor

[ Edited ]

String of Pearls:

String of Pearls LR.jpg

Canon EOS 80D  EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM MkII, 300mm, f/10, 1/15 sec, ISO-200

We have been in drought for over 5 months now and are facing water restrictions as Auckland's reservoirs drop towards 40% - they are usually in the mid-70% range.   This is our first long weekend since Easter and the last for 5 months.  It is also the first holiday weekend since our lockdown restrictions were relaxed, so of course everyone wanted to get out of the city.  However, in traditional fashion it is raining all weekend - not enough to ease our water problems (that will take weeks of solid rain) but it all helps.   So we stayed home and have kept warm, dry and unstressed by traffic jams from holidaymakers.

I was working in my study when the sun rose at 7:40am and, looking out the double-glazed window, saw the water droplets in still conditions - too good to miss, so I shot through the window before the drops fell.

cheers Trevor
Highlighted
VIP

Smiley Happy

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Tron,

I hope you get the rain you need soon!  I grew up on the Mississippi gulf coast with an average rainfall of 65" (165 cm) per year and when I went to Lubbock TX for my PhD I felt like I had moved to the desert.

Many years ago, I saw a black and white photo that burned itself into my memory.  I won't try to link a photo here but use Google to search for: san antonio farmer sam smith which wonderfully captures the raw emotion of a Texas farmer finally seeing rain during the 1951 drought.

Rodger

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@wq9nsc wrote:

Tron,

I hope you get the rain you need soon!  I grew up on the Mississippi gulf coast with an average rainfall of 65" (165 cm) per year and when I went to Lubbock TX for my PhD I felt like I had moved to the desert.

Many years ago, I saw a black and white photo that burned itself into my memory.  I won't try to link a photo here but use Google to search for: san antonio farmer sam smith which wonderfully captures the raw emotion of a Texas farmer finally seeing rain during the 1951 drought.

Rodger

Well, that's two of us. How many other ex-Mississippians do you suppose there are in this forum, Rodger?

Bob
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Good question Bob and I bet not too many!  You made it a little further away than I did.  I left the coast in 1986 for Lubbock and then to Illinois in 1989 for my first tenure track position where I ended up staying for my full career.

Rodger

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@wq9nsc wrote:

Good question Bob and I bet not too many!  You made it a little further away than I did.  I left the coast in 1986 for Lubbock and then to Illinois in 1989 for my first tenure track position where I ended up staying for my full career.

Rodger

I've lived in Boston, Philadelphia, Mississippi, Connecticut, Boston again (for 50 years), and now Philadelphia again. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Bob