Canon Community Canon Community

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Non-L 70-300 Canon Lenses

@Tronhard wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Gory details:  Canon 80D, 300mm, f8, 1/50 sec, ISO 1600'

...and you consider this a success or failure?

Such things are in the eye of the beholder... But given the photo was taken hand-held in dim light (they are forest birds), the slow shutter speed and the small size of the original, I think the lens performed well.

What do YOU think? Smiley Wink

FWIW, I think you're right. Given that the shot was hand held, I don't see how it could have been improved.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Valued Contributor

Like many zooms I felt the sweet spot was in the f5.6 - f8 region and since the birds flit around VERY repidly I kept the DoF as deep as I dared.   I like the 80D body for this lens, with the battery grip on (as with all my Canon DSLR bodies) it had a nice balance.  Not to say that it doesn't balance well on the 5D III and IV bodies, but they are a  bit heavier.

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Valued Contributor

And one more, a Bell Bird or Korimako, taken under the same conditions

NZ Auckland Tiritir Bell Bird.jpg

"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
VIP

"What do YOU think? Smiley Wink"

Given the conditions I think it shows your talent more than it shows the lens ability. When a photograph needs qualifiers is it truly a good shot? The fact is, if you are good with it, so am I.  All in for you.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV, even less and less other stuff.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"What do YOU think? Smiley Wink"

Given the conditions I think it shows your talent more than it shows the lens ability. When a photograph needs qualifiers is it truly a good shot? The fact is, if you are good with it, so am I.  All in for you.

Aw shucks... now I'm all red and blushing! Smiley Embarassed

Thank you for the kind complement (I hope!).   PERSONALLY I like to know the context of an image when I consider its merit - why, perhaps where, certainly the constraints.  In this case I was challenged by very low light and I felt the conditions would challenge the camera, the lens and me.  I was right, the little dears flitted around like rockets and I took a lot of images before I manged to get one in shot - not an untypical situation in bird photography.  Still, considering the lens, I was impressed by the image stabilization, the blazing fast focus and the fact it didn't weigh anything like as much as my much-loved 100-400 lens.  Sharpness is pretty good too I thought.

VIP

"...challenge the camera, the lens and me."

I think that totally proves my critique.  Great photos whether in a challenging place or not are not done by the gear.  It is the person using it that makes the shot. I would be willing to bet you a large sum of money that if you put the very same gear out there and left it alone for as long as you want, it still would not have gotten that shot. Mine doesn't anyway.

I used to tell my classes great photos are 1/2 camera/lens, 1/2 post editing and 1/2 you.  Not necessarily in that order.  Yeah beginners don't understand it but as you progress it starts to make sense. Sometimes the major effort is not where you expect to find it and sometimes, just sometimes, you need just that little more effort (hence the three 1/2 sections).

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

One the other hand...

I took the Mark I version of the 70-300 lens to the same island and these are a couple of images that I got from that experience.  I was using a Canon 5DMkIII, and the shots were hand-held again.

5D3_5824a.jpg

California Grouse:   300mm, f8, 1/30sec, ISO-200

5D3_5859a.jpg

Hihi or Stitch Bird: 300mm, f5.6, 1/80sec, ISO-800

VIP

Nice......................again  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Tronhard wrote:

One the other hand...

I took the Mark I version of the 70-300 lens to the same island and these are a couple of images that I got from that experience.  I was using a Canon 5DMkIII, and the shots were hand-held again.

[one shot omitted]

5D3_5859a.jpg

Hihi or Stitch Bird: 300mm, f5.6, 1/80sec, ISO-800

That poor bird has to wear four bands? I suppose that's what he gets for hanging around the feeders.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Tronhard wrote:

One the other hand...

That poor bird has to wear four bands? I suppose that's what he gets for hanging around the feeders.

I am glad they were put on symmetrically - at least it will feel balanced! Smiley LOL