Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: Nikkor 35mm 1.8G DX for Canon EF

You already have this lens for Canon?  If you do why in the world do you want a 35mm prime? I almost see the need for a 50mm prime but not very much so. I still would not buy it.  There is no doubt the Sigma Art series 35mm and the Tamron 35mm f1.4 are great lenses but they are not a worthwhile upgrade from the Sigma 18-35mm Art.

Don't you think it makes better sense to get a FL that extends your lens inventory a bit more? Perhaps one of the 70-200mm f2.8 lenses?

@ebiggs1. Yes, this is sound thinking, however my primary use of these lenses will be shooting video with my BMPCC4k and Metabones EF adaptor, and thus longer focal length lenses have little use for me in recording video, even while it would be useful for still photography. Moreover my interest in acquiring a different lens within a similar focal length is to be able to achieve different looks...I love my Sigma 18-35 Art 1.8 but not in every video or even still photo.

I went ahead and purchased the 50mm 1.8 and I love it. It has a totally different look than the Sigma, with the sharpness I was looking for. I still think you have a point about focal length redundancy overall though, so I'm holding off purchasing a 35 until I'm more certain of what I need. 

Thanks,

Jimmy