cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nikkor 35mm 1.8G DX for Canon EF

jimmybeveridge
Contributor

Hello, I just switched ecosystems from Nikon to Canon. I absolutely loved my Nikkor AF-S 35mm 1.8G DX lens, particularly the sharpness. 

What lens for Canon EF would be most similar to the Nikkor? I have a T7i.

Thanks,

Jimmy

12 REPLIES 12

jimmybeveridge
Contributor

50mm would be fine if there is nothing comparable in 35mm.

Canon doesn't make a 35mm.  They offer 24 and 40mm pancakes.  The Sigma 35mm Art is considered one of the best prime lenses in this FL.  Keep in mind however your equivlent FL will be 56mm on a T7i.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Canon doesn't make a 35mm.  They offer 24 and 40mm pancakes.  The Sigma 35mm Art is considered one of the best prime lenses in this FL.  Keep in mind however your equivlent FL will be 56mm on a T7i.   

Nikon "DX" lenses are made for APS-C sensor bodies.  The "FX" lenses are made for FF sensor bodies.  

The 35mm 1.8G is an inexpensive lens made for APS-C bodies.  Canon does not have an equivalent lens in their lineup.  The least expensive Canon is the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM, which is a pretty good lens for the price.  It performs very well on crop sensors. 

I liked the EF 40mm much better than the EF-S 24mm.  But, the 40mm is not exactly a walk around lens on an APS-C body.  I have had two copies of the EF-S 24mm and both had noisy AF motors for some reason.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I liked the EF 40mm much better than the EF-S 24mm.  But, the 40mm is not exactly a walk around lens on an APS-C body.  I have had two copies of the EF-S 24mm and both had noisy AF motors for some reason.

Yes, I'm looking at the EF-S 24mm as well as the 40mm 2.8 and even the 50mm 1.8. Alternatively, I could spend a little more money if it would purchase better quality.

Jimmy

OK, I am a guy that has had both of the lenses in question. Canon and Nikon. The Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Lens is lightyears better lens than the Nikkor  35mm G which is a bottom of the line lens.

"I'm looking at the EF-S 24mm as well as the 40mm 2.8 and even the 50mm 1.8...", If the 35mill is what you had and is what you want then the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM is the lens to buy. The 24mil and 40mil lenses are still not in the same league as the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM.  If you don't get the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM check out the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens.  It is a nearly equivalent option to the 50mm G Nikkor. 50mm is much less useful on a T7i that the 35mil will be.

Now that you left the dark side you will find most Canon lenses are better that most Nikkor's.  Some are pretty even but Canon owns the world wide lens market.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1

Yes, this is what I needed to hear. I'm going to buy the 50mm 1.8 and shoot with that for a while, because if I go the 35mm route, and the 35mm f2 USM is the one I have to look at for Canon, then I might just wait to invest in the Tamron 35mm 1.4 SP Di or something else high dollar, since I already have the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 Art lens. 

Thanks for all the help.

To Wadizizzle, I don't want to invest a significant amount of money in EF-S because I need EF lenses that I can put on my BMPCC4k with Metabones.

"I already have the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 Art lens."

You already have this lens for Canon?  If you do why in the world do you want a 35mm prime? I almost see the need for a 50mm prime but not very much so. I still would not buy it.  There is no doubt the Sigma Art series 35mm and the Tamron 35mm f1.4 are great lenses but they are not a worthwhile upgrade from the Sigma 18-35mm Art.

Don't you think it makes better sense to get a FL that extends your lens inventory a bit more? Perhaps one of the 70-200mm f2.8 lenses?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You already have this lens for Canon?  If you do why in the world do you want a 35mm prime? I almost see the need for a 50mm prime but not very much so. I still would not buy it.  There is no doubt the Sigma Art series 35mm and the Tamron 35mm f1.4 are great lenses but they are not a worthwhile upgrade from the Sigma 18-35mm Art.

Don't you think it makes better sense to get a FL that extends your lens inventory a bit more? Perhaps one of the 70-200mm f2.8 lenses?

@ebiggs1. Yes, this is sound thinking, however my primary use of these lenses will be shooting video with my BMPCC4k and Metabones EF adaptor, and thus longer focal length lenses have little use for me in recording video, even while it would be useful for still photography. Moreover my interest in acquiring a different lens within a similar focal length is to be able to achieve different looks...I love my Sigma 18-35 Art 1.8 but not in every video or even still photo.

I went ahead and purchased the 50mm 1.8 and I love it. It has a totally different look than the Sigma, with the sharpness I was looking for. I still think you have a point about focal length redundancy overall though, so I'm holding off purchasing a 35 until I'm more certain of what I need. 

Thanks,

Jimmy

Hi ebiggs1. I finally took your advice and picked up a Canon 24-105 F4 used on ebay and I absolutely love it. Obviously not as sharp as my Sigma 18-35 Art, but it has a wonderful Canon color saturation that complements the Sigma and also allows me to take advantage of the longer focal length. Thanks for your advice.

Cheers, 

Jimmy

Announcements