cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie question on fix aperture lens

Kolourl3lind
Enthusiast

I have not had the chance to try a fix aperture lens yet. I just wanted to know if you can still change the aperture from like  say f/2.8 to f/8 or higher.? Or is the only aperture you can f/2.8. HOw does this work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That is not a "fixed" aperture in that it can not be changed.  It means it is not a "varible" aperture which changes as the focal length changes.  This lens maintains it's f2.8 through out it's focal range.  It can and does have all the f-stops from f2.8 to f22.

This lens is, BTW, the best 24-70mm made today.  There is none better.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Yes I understand the concept of the whitebox but where would you buy whitebox lenses. I never heard of such a thing before and I am all for saving a buck.

Take most of what was just posted with a grain of salt.  Especially the nonsense of a "whie box" not having a full Canon USA warranty.  If it is a Canon USA lens bought new and you have the warranty card it is covered.  But even if it wasn't, you are only talking one year of warranty.  Big deal?  You are saving several hundred bucks.

The reason I used the term "fixed" 'was because you did.  Only trying to keep the conversation level.

You will have to do some searching to find a store or an individual that has a white box lens for sale.  Both B&H and Adorama have them from time to time.  The web site, Fred Miranda, has them quite often in the 'For Sale' area.  There are likely some on ebay right now.

The 24-105mm f4 will be many, many times more useful to you than any prime lens will ever be.  Look around for one.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hey guys please no flame wars in my post. I am just looking to increase my knowledge of photography and save a buck at the same time.  Everyone has their own opinions, and they have the right to it. In my case, I am open to whatever anyone has to say. That being said, I find prime lenses to be awesome especially for the low light photography I do in venues where flash is not allowed and for general photography when there are no crowds of people and space is not an issue. Those times are rare, so looking for a nice zoom is a priority for me.

Ok now, Fred Miranda? Ok  I will check it out.

ScottyP
Authority
Constant aperture = zoom lens can achieve its widest aperture throughout its entire focal range.

Variable aperture = zoom lens cannot maintain its widest aperture throughout its focal range and stops itself down to a narrower aperture when you zoom in.

Fixed focal length = a prime lens. Does not zoom, so issue of aperture changing as you zoom is irrelevant.

A better zoom such as a 24-105 f/4 would be a nice addition to your kit. Personally I think I might make that my second acquisition, right after buying a nice bright sharp prime lens. A 50mm if you do portrait shots on a crop sensor. A 35mm if you want a good multipurpose lens on a crop sensor camera. Possibly even a 24mm if you want a bit wider walk around. You can use your existing zoom lens at these lengths to decide which one you'd want if your lens only did one length.

Primes are smaller and they work with a fraction (approx 1/4 to 1/8) of the light due to being 2 - 3 stops wider aperture than zoom lenses at approx f/ 1.4. They are also (almost always) sharper due to a simpler optical design that does not have to make optical design compromises to look good at any different zoom lengths. They are also cheaper than any zoom of equivalent sharpness. (Unless they say "Zeiss" on the label).
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ScottyP
Authority
You sound like an unusual species of "newbie" if you are already shooting dim venues using primes, etc... What lenses are you already using?
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements