cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie question on fix aperture lens

Kolourl3lind
Enthusiast

I have not had the chance to try a fix aperture lens yet. I just wanted to know if you can still change the aperture from like  say f/2.8 to f/8 or higher.? Or is the only aperture you can f/2.8. HOw does this work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That is not a "fixed" aperture in that it can not be changed.  It means it is not a "varible" aperture which changes as the focal length changes.  This lens maintains it's f2.8 through out it's focal range.  It can and does have all the f-stops from f2.8 to f22.

This lens is, BTW, the best 24-70mm made today.  There is none better.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

What lens?  Smiley Frustrated

If it is truly a "fixed" aperture lens, it can not be changed with out a ND filter.

EB

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_24_70mm_f_2_8l_ii_usm

Something like this. The aperture cannot be changed can it? It is always at f/2.8 right?

That is not a "fixed" aperture in that it can not be changed.  It means it is not a "varible" aperture which changes as the focal length changes.  This lens maintains it's f2.8 through out it's focal range.  It can and does have all the f-stops from f2.8 to f22.

This lens is, BTW, the best 24-70mm made today.  There is none better.

EB

If you are interested in lenses of this type and are not scared away by the several zeros in the price tag, the three lenses in my sig (EF 24-70mm f2.8 L, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 EX APO) are the best that are available.  There are none better.

Personally, I prefer fixed aperture lenses and tend to shy away from varible aperture lenses.  

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

If you are interested in lenses of this type and are not scared away by the several zeros in the price tag, the three lenses in my sig (EF 24-70mm f2.8 L, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 EX APO) are the best that are available.  There are none better.

Personally, I prefer fixed aperture lenses and tend to shy away from varible aperture lenses.  

Don't you mean to say that you prefer "constant aperture" (zoom) lenses? (As do I, FWIW.) My understanding is that a "fixed aperture" lens is a (prime) lens that lacks any provision for changing the aperture. Like, for example, an astronomical telescope adapted to be mounted on a camera.

Or are there competing definitions of these terms of which I'm not aware?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Kolourl3lind
Enthusiast

Unfortunely those lenses are out of my price range for now.  However, being a new photographer I never realized that was the case because I have never had the chance to use one of those lenses.  Now that I know, I will save up my pocket money. I was about to get the new 24-105mm stm lens that canon came out with.

The EF 24-105mm f4 L IS is a very fine lens.  It is the best buy in the Canon line.  You can find "white box" versions in the $650 to $750 range.  Brand new!  They are the exact same Canon lens with full Canon USA warranty.  They have just been removed from a camera and lens combo and the buyer didn't want or already had the lens.

EB

Ok you got me paying attention. Where can I get these whitebox lenses?

kolourl3ind (you're kidding, right?), Any time a manufacturer creates a product, whether it be a lens or camera bundled with a lens, they assign it a product code. If a retailer/dealer were to sell only the camera body from a bundled camera, the lens must be sold as a "white box" item. (I'm not sure if eligibility for the full warranty applies.)

I suppose in many shops the seller would assist the buyer by "buying back the lens".
Announcements