Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Lens Question on old 5D Mark 1

HeatherJJ19
Apprentice

Good morning-- 

My husband got me an old 5D Mark 1 camera in a barter trade. 🙂 

However, I am trying to find just a good starter lens for this camera for taking general photos to get some practice and comfort with the camera. Any good recommendations? Thank you so much! 

14 REPLIES 14

How much are you willing to spend? And are you willing to replace it when/if you decide to upgrade to a newer camera?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Bob-- Thank you for your response. I will probably hang on to this camera for a while and when the time comes I would be willing to sell everything together when I am at that crossroad. I am trying to not spend too much for now. Still paying off student loans---- Smiley Frustrated so trying to probably keep it under $500 for now. Eventually-- not now, I want to get back into wildlife photography but, for now am more interested in capturing family moments and military events. Thank you!

" I would be willing to sell everything together when I am at that crossroad. "

WHat does that mean?  Lenses are where it at. Not the camera. My best advice is to buy the best lenses you can. Always!  They last. Cameras don't.  I know that money is tight but just keep in mind it isn't as much fun if you have to buy something twice. You may and probably will, if the photography bug bites you, want to move up to a more recent camera but there isn't any reason you need to re-buy your lenses.  Make sense?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Oh yes! Thank you for the recommendations. I sure appreciate it. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@HeatherJJ19 wrote:

Good morning-- 

My husband got me an old 5D Mark 1 camera in a barter trade. 🙂 

However, I am trying to find just a good starter lens for this camera for taking general photos to get some practice and comfort with the camera. Any good recommendations? Thank you so much! 

A good starter lens would be the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens.  Look for one at a Best Buy.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"My husband got me an old 5D Mark 1..."

Actually, Heather, there is no such thing as a 5D Mk 1. It is simply a 5D and it is a great camera well worth it. It will make great shots. I used one for years. About lenses, nothing will dampen your photographic enthusiasm more than getting a prime lens such as the 50mm. First 50mm is just an inconvenient focal length for general use.  It is always seemingly too long or too short for what you want. It was only decided way, way back as the same FL as the human eye. Not that it was a good FL to use. A zoom lens such as the Canon EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens is far better. Plus it covers that 50mm range. This lens will do just about all you will want as a beginner. It is only slightly more than your $500 budget. It's FL covers a huge range of general photography. Adding a moderate telephoto later one will complete the package.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Actually, Heather, there is no such thing as a 5D Mk 1. It is simply a 5D and it is a great camera well worth it. It will make great shots. I used one for years. About lenses, nothing will dampen your photographic enthusiasm more than getting a prime lens such as the 50mm. First 50mm is just an inconvenient focal length for general use.  It is always seemingly too long or too short for what you want. It was only decided way, way back as the same FL as the human eye. Not that it was a good FL to use. A zoom lens such as the Canon EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens is far better. Plus it covers that 50mm range. This lens will do just about all you will want as a beginner. It is only slightly more than your $500 budget. It's FL covers a huge range of general photography. Adding a moderate telephoto later one will complete the package.

There is nothing wrong with the EF 50mm lens.  Ernie has often said so himself.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/I-need-a-camera-for-high-school-sports/...

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the EF 50mm lens.  Ernie has often said so himself.

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/General-Camera-Discussion/I-need-a-camera-for-high-school-sports/...

Heather, you've walked into one of the ongoing duels of this forum. Ernie and Waddizzle rarely agree on anything. Let me try to split the difference.

I agree with Ernie that for most general photography, a zoom lens is the better choice because of its greater flexibility. In olden days, zoom lenses tended to give much poorer results than prime (i.e., single focal length) lenses, but that's no longer true. But Waddizzle is correct that if you're going to choose a prime lens (for cost reasons or to get a wider aperture), the 50mm f/1.8 is a perfectly serviceable general-purpose starter lens on a 5D.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Robert, I try to avoid anything posted by Wadrizzle, so should everybody, sometimes it is hard to do. If you lived through the olden fime days when the 50mm was king, you quickly found out, although a nice lens, all of the were for the most part, they are difficult to use in everyday life and events. Not impossible just harder. Today we have zooms that are just as good and offer varible FL for the photographer in the single package. Possibly why all the beginner kits come with a zoom lens and not a 50mil prime.

This young photographer needs that same advantage. The ef 50mm f1.8 prime is a fine lens, it is just not a starter lens.

"... one of the ongoing duels of this forum..."  Takes two to duel, I don't, won't participate. Smiley Happy

EB
Announcements