cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New technology available to eliminate chromatic aberration in lenses

ChrisPBacon
Enthusiast

I’ve been doing research into lenses and came across this article.

This technological innovation may usher in significant advancements in not only photography, but astronomy as well.

A smart camera company CEO might buy the patent and own the market, making all competitor camera lenses Model T Fords compared to their Ferrari.

http://buttercupprod.com/2018/11/24/harvard-makes-nanosurface-that-fixes-chromatic-aberration-in-len...

Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.
9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Much cheaper to do it in software.

... and very easy!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Some people would rather correct defects or mistakes than avoid them. Gotcha, loud and clear.
Chris P. Bacon
F-1; AE-1; EOS 1V, EOS-1D X Mark III, 5D Mk IV, 6D, 6D Mk II, 7D, and 7D Mk II; scads of Canon, Zeiss, and Sigma lenses.

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star

I agree it is currently cheaper, and easy... However one day it will be affordable and then starting with the capture taken by the new technology then post processing, the results will undoubtedly be amazing.

To assume current technology will not be surpassed is a notion that we have already reached the pinnacle of lenses and camera's, technology will evolve. 

A NASA/JPL optical engineer that I’ve worked with on space-based telescope and other optical platforms said that this signifies a major advancement, not just for astronomy, but for cameras, as well. For one, it will mean far better quality lenses are available with much less weight and complexity.

Then again, there are those who love crank-starting their cars by hand because it’s easy to do, and less expensive than an electrical starter.

Chris P. Bacon

I can see Sigma using it in whatever replaces the ART, but I don't think any of the big boys, Canon, Nikon or Sony will be interested.

"...because it’s easy to do, and less expensive ..."

Let's see, click, click in LR/PS or click, click in the bank account?  Now just where did i put that crank!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ChrisPBacon wrote:

A NASA/JPL optical engineer that I’ve worked with on space-based telescope and other optical platforms said that this signifies a major advancement, not just for astronomy, but for cameras, as well. For one, it will mean far better quality lenses are available with much less weight and complexity.

Then again, there are those who love crank-starting their cars by hand because it’s easy to do, and less expensive than an electrical starter.

I say forget about it.  Cost considerations aside, the technology is most likely several years away from being included in consumer products. They will still need to workout the technical details of mass producing the technology, which could take years.  In fact, it may noteven be capable being mass produced until some other technological leap is made.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ChrisPBacon wrote:

I say forget about it.  Cost considerations aside, the technology is most likely several years away from being included in consumer products. They will still need to work out the technical details of mass producing the technology, which could take years.  In fact, it may not even be capable being mass produced until some other technological leap is made.

An excellent point. Remember when "compact fluorescent" light bulbs were the long-awaited solution to the inefficiency of incandescent bulbs? Light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs totally replaced the CF bulbs before the latter's supply chain ever got fully established. The advance of technology waits for no one to catch up.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements