cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New lens for general use

piotrekhc
Contributor

Hi

Recently i bought my 1st dslr canon 50d, and now I'm looking to get a new lens.
I had few lenses in mind but I just cant decide. For example Canon 17-40mmf/4l was my 1st choice good price but apparently it does not perform well on crop cameras, and lack of IS puts me of. So there is Sigma Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM but it is massive,  and I just don't know, also lack of IS. Finally my 3rd choice Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L but is a bit pricey.
So my question is which would be best suitable lens for general use a bit of landscape some pictures of my cat portraits etc.

Thanks

Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"For example Canon 17-40mmf/4l was my 1st choice good price but apparently it does not perform well on crop cameras,..."

That is nonsense.  I used it on Rebel XTi's for years.  It works fine.  If you want it, get it.

"... lack of IS puts me of off."

You will never miss it on this lens.  The other lenses are nice but they are not in the same class as this lens, except the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L.  The 17-40mm is a lens you can buy once and move on as it will stay with you no matter how far you go in photography.  The others are not.  Remember a lens, or camera, is a sum of its specs and not a single one!  Consider everything it has to offer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you don't plan on upgrading to a full frame camera anytime soon you should look at the EF-S series of lenses.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Agree. If you are wanting wide lenses then an EF-s 10-22 would be a good choice. 

If if you have a bit mort to spend you can get the EF-s 17-55 f/2.8.  A very sharp lens with a constant (non variable) wide f/2.8 aperture to let more light in. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

Agree. If you are wanting wide lenses then an EF-s 10-22 would be a good choice. 

If if you have a bit mort to spend you can get the EF-s 17-55 f/2.8.  A very sharp lens with a constant (non variable) wide f/2.8 aperture to let more light in. 

I'll second the recommendation of the 17-55mm f/2.8. One thing Scott didn't mention is that it has IS, which you said you want.

My wife and I each have that lens. The first one we bought requires +9 points of autofocus microadjustment, something I've never seen on an "L" lens. But the 50D has AFMA (as Rebels, for example, don't), so that wouldn't be a problem for you.

The 50D is a good camera, BTW. It's definitely yesterday's technology, but it's a reliable performer with good image quality up to at least ISO 1000. If the one you bought is in good condition, it should serve you well.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

+1 on the recommendation for the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

That's a high quality lens on a camera body with an APS-C sensor (like the 50D), provids f/2.8 focal ratio at all focal lengths, offers a bit more versatility as a general purpose working zoom lens, and it has the image stabilization feature that you want.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@piotrekhc wrote:

Hi

Recently i bought my 1st dslr canon 50d, and now I'm looking to get a new lens.
I had few lenses in mind but I just cant decide. For example Canon 17-40mmf/4l was my 1st choice good price but apparently it does not perform well on crop cameras, and lack of IS puts me of. So there is Sigma Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM but it is massive,  and I just don't know, also lack of IS. Finally my 3rd choice Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L but is a bit pricey.
So my question is which would be best suitable lens for general use a bit of landscape some pictures of my cat portraits etc.

Thanks

Pete

Look at one of Canon's STM lenses. When Canon updated the focus motor on these lenses, they also updated the optics. The STM lenses are one of the best things Canon has going for them right now. Fantastic image quality at bargain prices.

The EF-S 18-135 IS STM lens would make a great general usage lens for the 50D. The 50D was originally kitted with the older EF 28-135 which wasn't quite wide enough for an APS-C camera like the 50D.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"For example Canon 17-40mmf/4l was my 1st choice good price but apparently it does not perform well on crop cameras,..."

That is nonsense.  I used it on Rebel XTi's for years.  It works fine.  If you want it, get it.

"... lack of IS puts me of off."

You will never miss it on this lens.  The other lenses are nice but they are not in the same class as this lens, except the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L.  The 17-40mm is a lens you can buy once and move on as it will stay with you no matter how far you go in photography.  The others are not.  Remember a lens, or camera, is a sum of its specs and not a single one!  Consider everything it has to offer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

HI

Thank you so much for all your advices, I have decided to go for

Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM and later on ill buy Canon EF 17-40mm f4 L USM

tanks again 

Pete

Announcements