cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Refurbished EOS EF 70-300 II

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Just got my refurbished lens - great deal at the Canon refurbished store!

So, what do you guys do to check out a new lens?

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@kvbarkley wrote:

Just got my refurbished lens - great deal at the Canon refurbished store!

So, what do you guys do to check out a new lens?

Every photographer has a favorite spot or something they like to photograph to test out new gear.  For me, it is a park that offers good views of a bridge.  There are ducks and geese that like to hang out in the area.  There are flower gardens for testing closeup shots.  There is also a baseball field and soccer field in the park, so I can experiment with action shots.

[EDIT]. Enjoy that lens, BTW.  I would get a B+W Nano Clear Filter for it from B&H. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

My 16-35 and 85 were both Canon refurbs.  Both arrived in pristine (looking brand new condition) and operated the same.  

For people like us, I think checking front/back focus at various focal lengths would be one of the first things I'd check. 

Take about 10 photos.  A few mnimum focal length and some max.  Then, manually stop down the lens at various aperatures.  Then some auto focus shots with subjects at various distances (bright and dimly lit conditions) TTL gets good fast lock.  Then I'd review my images. 

You're experienced enough to know when something isn't right. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I just got a "New Refurbished EOS EF 70-300 II" "...what do you guys do to check out a new lens?"

On that lens nothing. Just use it and go.

I don't actually know how many lenses I have had over my lifetime so far but it is in the hundreds.  The number that needed any attention at all, focus adjustment or whatever, is very few. Very, very few. However, the few that did need it were awful and apparent there was a problem with out any real testing. I typically only buy top line or what I consider high end lenses so that may skew my experience.

A lot of guys screw around with their lenses when there isn't any thing wrong with them. Some mistakenly think focus adjustment will make the lens sharper. It doesn't.  And, to me, it seems like the cameras and lenses that would benefit most from focus adjustment don't have it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements