cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Purchase Advice - Existing Lens

jonbrownw
Apprentice

Hi.  I am considering getting an EOS 90D to restart my photography hobby.  I have a EOS 350D which has not been used for several years; but is does have an EFS 18-55mm lens.

Can anybody tell me if that lens is still compatable and if a new lens version would give better performance/quality.

I am planning to do mostly landscape and wildlife photos.

Any advice would be greatfully received.

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The EOS 90D uses an APS-C (crop) sensor.  And is indeed compatible with any EF-S lens such as the EF-S 18-55 you already have.

For the longer term...

In terms of quality, you may want to consider EF lenses.  This doesn't mean there are no high-quality EF-S lenses.  There are just more options and definitely higher-quality available in the EF line.  EF lenses would then work on either APS-C or Full-frame cameras should you move to such cameras in the future.   For the new cameras that use the RF line of lenses, there is an available adapter to use EF lenses with those units.

Where I'm mostly going here is the concept of protecting your investment.   It's typically best to obtain the highest quality lenses for your particular needs.  And if going with an EF lens, you'd have more freedom on what camera bodies that would work with.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Can anybody tell me if that lens is still compatable and if a new lens version would give better performance/quality."

The answer to both questions is, yes. It will work and almost any new lens will be better.

If I were to buy a 90D today, I am very high on the 90D, it is a wonderful camera but I would not buy any lens with it.

My preference and yours too if you truly want better performance and IQ is to buy the 90D and buy the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens. If you don't mind not keeping it all Canon, I would buy the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon.  I am leaning towards the Siggy if I were buying today.  A constant f1.8 aperture and super IQ is hard to beat. This is a killer combo.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements