Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New EF-M Macro lens

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

There is a just announced Macro for EF-M with several cool features:

Builti in LED lights

Magnification to 1.2X life size .31 ft focus distance which I am guessing is about 2" in front of the lens.

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@kvbarkley wrote:

There is a just announced Macro for EF-M with several cool features:

Builti in LED lights

Magnification to 1.2X life size .31 ft focus distance which I am guessing is about 2" in front of the lens.

A compact prime designed for macro photography, the  EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM from Canon is a 44.8mm-equivalent lens designed for APS-C-format EF-M-mount mirrorless cameras.

-EF-M Mount Lens/APS-C Format
-44.8mm (35mm Equivalent)
-Maximum Aperture: f/3.5
-One UD Element & Two Aspherical Elements
-STM Stepping AF Motor
-Hybrid IS Image Stabilization
-Maximum Magnification: 1.2x
-Super Macro Setting for 3.7" Min. Focus
-Built-In Macro Lite LED
-Retractable Design for Compact Profile

I wonder what exactly "Hybrid IS means.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hybrid IS is the same as the one in the new EF 100mm Macro. It adds "to and fro" stability control to the normal up/down left/ right stability

@kvbarkley wrote:

Hybrid IS is the same as the one in the new EF 100mm Macro. It adds "to and fro" stability control to the normal up/down left/ right stability

When you say "the new EF 100mm Macro", you mean the newer (L) version, right? There hasn't been a new third version of the 100mm macro, has there?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yes, the L version, I actually thought it was an update of the old 100mm, not an upgrade to "L" status

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/lenses/ef/macro/ef-100mm-f-2-8l-m...

Waddizzle wrote: I wonder what exactly "Hybrid IS means.
I think it means that the IS will not only compensate for angular shake for regular shooting but also compensate for shift camera shake which is prominent at macro range.  The Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro was the first lens that has this.
http://www.canon.com/news/2009/jul22e.html

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Most IS systems compensate for side to side motion, or up and down.  Are you saying that this system can do both at the same time?

[EDIT]  With IS and a pair of on-board lights, the battery drain could be significant on an already small battery.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Most do both at the same time unless you are in panning mode. This one does *3* axes at the same time

http://www.canon.com/news/2009/jul22e.html

AlanaD
Contributor

Please help. I just purchased this lens with an R6 body thinking it would fit. Am I missing something? I bought the adaptor ring as well. I need to return asap if this is not compatible. thank you so much

An EF-M lens cannot work with an RF-mount camera.  There is no adapter that exists.   EF and EF-S lenses though will work when using an EF to RF mount adapter.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements