cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need lens repair

buckcreek
Apprentice

I have a 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM.  I recently dropped it and have a big dent on the front where the lens cap goes.  The camera was not damaged as far as picture quality.  The problem is I can't put a filter or lens cap on the lens.  I sent it to Canon and they wanted $850 to fix it.  I just want the part that has the dent replaced.  I think they had planned to do more.

I was wondering if anyone knows a place I could sent it to have that part replaced.  It's an old lens and I bought it used but still works great. Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would let Canon repair it, or buy another lens.  Or, continue to use a dented lens.  I would not trust anyone but Canon with a repair.  

Some parts are sold as assemblies, like a headlight assembly for your car.  Didn't the estimate list new parts that would be needed, in addition to labor, tax, and shipping?  They may have found some internal damage, too.  Yeah, it seems to work now, but it may not do so for long.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Canon didn't really give me much info on what needed to be done.  They told me the parts were $244.37 and labor $359 which came to $633 including tax and shipping.  I paid them that amount then they refunded me that amount a couple of days later and told me the new estimate was $850.  I bought the lens used for $1500 and didn't know if I wanted to invest that much more into the lens.  I might do better to spend that on a new lens.  The lens works great, got some good moon photos the other night.  Not sure what I'm going to do at this point.  Thanks for your reply.

@buckcreek wrote:

Canon didn't really give me much info on what needed to be done.  They told me the parts were $244.37 and labor $359 which came to $633 including tax and shipping.  I paid them that amount then they refunded me that amount a couple of days later and told me the new estimate was $850.  I bought the lens used for $1500 and didn't know if I wanted to invest that much more into the lens.  I might do better to spend that on a new lens.  The lens works great, got some good moon photos the other night.  Not sure what I'm going to do at this point.  Thanks for your reply.

That's tough luck.  It would seem that Robert's suspicions may have been correct.  I would still let Canon fix it, though.  I am certain your lens will be completely restored.  It's cheaper than a new lens, and I am certain you don't want to walk around with a dented lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

You are right, it's a lot cheaper than a new lens.  Thank you.

You will have a brand new lens!  Well as close as one can expect anyway.  The repair from Canon goes completely through the lens and corrects everything.  There is no doubt in my mind that there is internal damage.  It will show its ugly head when you least want it to.

I would have them C&C the camera at the same time.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

We get variants on this question regularly. The answer is always the same: If a lens or camera fell hard enough to do that sort of damage, there's a high probability that it suffered some internal damage as well, whether or not that damage is apparent. Moreover, replacing parts on a lens is not a DIY job unless you really know what you're doing.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements