cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need lens for EOS Rebel T3 for copystand work shooting fine detail & close-ups of plants.??

kimberly2
Apprentice

I need a Canon lens for EOS Rebel T3 to work well on a copystand shooting fine detail & close-ups of botanical speciemens.  Please suggest lens which might work.

--

2 REPLIES 2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM  click here.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

It will depend upon how large your copy stand is and the size of your subjects, plus how much magnification you need.

I'd look at the EF 50/2.5 "Compact Macro", EF-S 60/2.8 Macro, and EF 100/2.8 USM (possibly the 100L IS, but the stabilization would be more useful for handheld work, off the copy stand).

For indoor, tabletop studio work with a crop sensor camera (like your T3, but a different model), I often use the Canon TS-E 45mm. It's not a true "macro" lens, but quite close focusing, and can be used with macro extension tubes for higher magnification. The tilt and shift features are useful with three dimensional subjects, allowing the plane of focus to be carefully aligned or the lens to be offset to "dodge" reflections. This is a manual focus only lens, probably doesn't matter for copystand work... but you might not need the TS-E features, if your subjects are primarily flat.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements