cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with this lens - should I keep it

mangurian
Enthusiast

I took a bunch of shots with a used lens.  I would like more experienced users to give me an opinion and especially comments.  I purposely deleted the EXIF data to avoid bias.  I will post the data later.

Here are 3 full size jpegs.  Converted from RAW.  Shot using full auto.  No in-camera or post-processing.  Thanks.

ok - The lens is a nifty 50 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM using an adapter to a mirrorless.

photo 1

photo 2

photo 3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Uzmas
Contributor
Autumn colours look nice and vivid. Exposure can be adjusted a bit.....the lens looks good form the little information available.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

You may have to tell us what to look for. If there's anything seriously wrong with that lens, it's not readily apparent (at least not to me).

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Just look like snapshots to me. First is slightly underexposed.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ok.  So you think the lens is no good ?

@mangurian wrote:

I took a bunch of shots with a used lens.  I would like more experienced users to give me an opinion and especially comments.  I purposely deleted the EXIF data to avoid bias.  I will post the data later.

Here are 3 full size jpegs.  Converted from RAW.  Shot using full auto.  No in-camera or post-processing.  Thanks.

ok - The lens is a nifty 50 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM using an adapter to a mirrorless.

photo 1

photo 2

photo 3

STM lenses have their quirks, but Canon's are considered to be optically very good. And there's nothing obvious in those pictures to contradict that. The underexposure that Ernie mentioned makes it a little harder to judge the overall quality of the picture, but is almost certainly not the fault of the lens. (A lens can cause underexposure if its aperture mechanism is out of adjustment, but that's a) rare and b) easily corrected, as long as the effect is consistent, on most serious cameras.)

The big things to look for on a lens are edge-to-edge sharpness and lack of distortion. Both of those seem OK on your lens, but as Ernie pointed out, the subjects don't present much of a challenge. Fix the exposure issue and take some more pictures. Then let us have another look.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Totally agree with Bob from Boston, Massachusetts USA!  I could not have said it better or more clearly.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

Just based upon the images... the lens looks to be nice and sharp, have good color rendition.

There are other "problems", unrelated to the lens:

As someone has already observed... #1 image is seriously under-exposed. Not surprising, the camera's metering system was fooled by the bright blue sky.

The house in #3 is very crooked, too. Earthquake?

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

Uzmas
Contributor
Excellent reply.

Uzmas
Contributor
Autumn colours look nice and vivid. Exposure can be adjusted a bit.....the lens looks good form the little information available.
Announcements