cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help choosing lenses for 7D Mark II

ilzho
Rising Star

Hello:

I am purchasing a 7D Mark II and am looking for advice on some lens.

I primarily take pictures of horses/wildlife/action sports.

I want to have a good lens for portraits and a good one for wildlife/sports.

I don't want to have 5 different lenses either (at least for now).

I realize it really depends on how much money I want to spend.

I would like to get 2 lenses for around $2K.

Some of you have already given some great advice on lenses.

EF 50MM F/1.8

EF-S 17-55MM F2.8 IS USM

EF 24-105MM F/4 L IS USM

EF-S 18-135 MM IS

EF 70-200MM F/4 L IS USM

EF 70-200MM F/2.8 L II IS

Just a little confused and need a little clarity.

Thank you,

David

47 REPLIES 47

I knew you were a reader. You stick with google. I'll would rather be a doer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I knew you were a reader. You stick with google. I'll would rather be a doer.

Everybody in this forum is a reader, pretty much by definition.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

Everybody in this forum is a reader, pretty much by definition.

At least those that are open minded enough.

Bob from Boston,

"Everybody in this forum is a reader, pretty much by definition."

Yes sir, I agree.  But for some that's all they do. Then they give advice on advice they read somewhere.  Which may be from some other review! Who knows?  Never having the real hands on experience.

EB

"Yes sir, I agree.  But for some that's all they do. Then they give advice on advice they read somewhere.  Which may be from some other review! Who knows?  Never having the real hands on experience." 

You do realize that you're saying that no one should listen to you, but rather gain knowledge through doing.  Right?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"You do realize that you saying that no one should listen to you, but rather gain knowledge through doing.  Right?;

Not at all.  We all learn by reading and by doing.  But if all you do is read about it, how much value is your advice?  Would you go to a doctor that just read medical books or would you prefer one that read and did some hands on experience?

I sincerely try to report on what I have personally done and gear I have personally used. If others like yourself don't take or don't want it, that is fine. It matters little to me but there it is.  It is offered free and that is exactly what it's worth.

EB

"But, I'm not so sure if they could capture that much detail and contrast on the same gray, overcast day,"

Believe me they can.  The Tamron is so very close to the Canon it is scary.  It is a 'best buy' considering the cost vs performance.  Just don't try to kid yourself both of those entries are very good.  This comes form owning all of them and using all of them...........a lot.  IMHO, the Tamron is better than the Nikkor which more than doubles its price!

------------------------------------------------------------

For the record, the shot of the 105mm Howitzer was 1/640, f/2.8 ISO 200.  I was using Av mode that day, and had dialed the ISO up to 200 because it was moslty so dark.  Most of my shots were 1/320 to 1/800.  Some shots were faster, and some were slower, depending upon what I was shooting, and mostly how much sky was in the background.

The Image Stabilization on the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L MkII is excellent.  Anyone should be more than pleased with it.

"Will Canon upgrade the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM anytime soon?"

Canon is the only one that can answer that question.  Since no company has yet equaled it in IQ and build, the Nikkor is close, I don't see Canon rushing out to upgrade.  Even if they do, it doesn't take away from the current lens. It will always be as good as it is today.

"I was serious it is the BEST 70-200 IS lens sold."

One place we can agree, huh, Mr. Martin!

EB

"There are a couple of problems with using full frame wide angle lenses on a crop camera. First being you are paying a lot of money for optics that are literately out of the picture. Second they tend to be heavier and larger than their counter parts designed for a crop sensor." 

True, you'll get no argument from me. 

However, using a full frame wide angle lens like that on a crop sensor frequently means the images have negligible amounts of barrel distortion.  You get nice, rectilinear shots.  The shots I get with my Rokinon 14mm on my T5 are really nice and rectilinear, without any keystoning on the edges, which I can get sometimes with the 16-35mm f/2.8.

"...  ebiggs are not really a sports/BIF type are you?"

And you would be correct, sir.  About me anyway but the big guy from Boston may differ.

"...use the 600mm f/4L with a 1.4x and it's still too short..."

Wow, bud, you are talking some very serious focal length here!  Smiley Surprised  Over 1300mm equivalent if my pea brain is working today.

EB
Announcements