cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help choosing lenses for 7D Mark II

ilzho
Rising Star

Hello:

I am purchasing a 7D Mark II and am looking for advice on some lens.

I primarily take pictures of horses/wildlife/action sports.

I want to have a good lens for portraits and a good one for wildlife/sports.

I don't want to have 5 different lenses either (at least for now).

I realize it really depends on how much money I want to spend.

I would like to get 2 lenses for around $2K.

Some of you have already given some great advice on lenses.

EF 50MM F/1.8

EF-S 17-55MM F2.8 IS USM

EF 24-105MM F/4 L IS USM

EF-S 18-135 MM IS

EF 70-200MM F/4 L IS USM

EF 70-200MM F/2.8 L II IS

Just a little confused and need a little clarity.

Thank you,

David

47 REPLIES 47

ilzho
Rising Star

I apprecaite everyones advice and responses. 

It's a fun hobby to say the least.

I learn more and more everyday by reading, watching and doing.

Horse racing is my first passion, but nature and sports are up there as well.

I can only get to the track on the weekends weather permiting.

I'm working on my manual mode and single AF points, etc.. trial by error to say the least.

I'm learning the functions, slowly....

This cardinal stopped by this afternoon.

It's not great but it's a start.

It's hard to snap photos of birds as they hear the door open and fly away.....

Thanks as always......

ISO 200, f 2.8, 1/500 through a 100mm lens. It was a jpeg, not a raw image.

IMG_6245.jpg

ilzho
Rising Star

I guess I could start a new thread, but what is a favorite shutter speed for motion blur without a tripod?
I have tried 1/30 - 1/60th just panning on neighborhood cars, to get a feel for when I go back to track for the race horses.

I tend to like 1/50th. Clearly with a tripod, I could go lower, but what are some of your favorite comfortable shutter speeds for panning motion blur?

Thanks.

IMG_6370.jpg

100mm, iso 200, f/14, 1/50 tv mode.

@ilzho wrote:

I guess I could start a new thread, but what is a favorite shutter speed for motion blur without a tripod?
I have tried 1/30 - 1/60th just panning on neighborhood cars, to get a feel for when I go back to track for the race horses.

I tend to like 1/50th. Clearly with a tripod, I could go lower, but what are some of your favorite comfortable shutter speeds for panning motion blur?

Thanks.

100mm, iso 200, f/14, 1/50 tv mode.

The shutter speed I use for race cars is influenced by focal length. So there really isn't one speed I use. 

Very nice panning at 1/50, good sharpness of the car.  Your aperture is a little small at f/14, and you would have better off with ISO 100 and f/8. Otherwise, just keep practicing. 🙂

Thanks for the advice, I need it.

I put it in Shutter priority mode, so it picked the aperature/iso for me. I put the AF point in the center dot only.

It was pretty bright outside, so I was expecting a lower ISO to be honest. 

Guess I should have put in manual mode. 🙂

@ilzho wrote:

I put it in Shutter priority mode, so it picked the aperature/iso for me. I put the AF point in the center dot only.

Perhaps still Tv mode, just manual ISO of 100. 

I have no idea why it would bump the ISO to go to f/14, instead of f/7.1 or f/8

@ilzho wrote:

The shutter speed is whatever works for you.  For a moving car I think 1/100 will do it for me.

Getting ISO 200 in bright sunlight might be because you have "Highlight Tone Priority" option set.  You can tell via the viewfinder if the symbol D+ is shown.  When activated, the minimum ISO is 200.  This option protects your highlight area from being overexposed but the ISO cost is too high. I always have this option off.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

The shutter speed is whatever works for you.  For a moving car I think 1/100 will do it for me.

Getting ISO 200 in bright sunlight might be because you have "Highlight Tone Priority" option set.  You can tell via the viewfinder if the symbol D+ is shown.  When activated, the minimum ISO is 200.  This option protects your highlight area from being overexposed but the ISO cost is too high. I always have this option off.

Good call on the Highlight Tone Priority probably being on. 

Well that's true, I keep forgetting to take ISO off of auto... Eventually it will sink in.....

The camera is a EOS Rebel XSI and the lens is a 100mm, 'macro' ef 100mm 1:2.8 usm

I do have another lens: efs 18-55mm IS, maybe I should try that one as well to get a little wider area to work with as I get the hang of panning.

I'll check the highlight tone priority to see if it's on.

Thanks!

Announcements