cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW: EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

This lens sounds like it has potential to become a big hit for users of EF-S lenses.  It's wide.  It's fast.  It has IS.  Plus, it's a macro capable of life size reproduction.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-35mm-f28-macro-is-stm-lens

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
45 REPLIES 45

But it is only a 35mm if you don't use it. Once you use it, it's a 56. -The End

"... it is only a 35mm if you don't use it. Once you use it, it's a 56. -The End"

This is where, my friend, you need to change your thinking.  The lens remains a 35mm no matter what you use it on.  The thing that changes is the angle of view. A good way to point this out and make it more real is, folks that use medium format or 645's, etc., don't think of a "crop" factor. Although there is one just the other way round. Example a 645 has a .62 crop factor. They just know which lens produces what results.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Oh, I know all that optical gibberish. I am not as big a dummy as you think! (I did a research paper about 55 years ago on compensated free form lens design and other such flotsam and jetsam, so there!! Just don't ask me to explain what the hell it means.)

My only point to the person whom I was addressing was that if he bought this thing, he wasn't getting what he thought was a wide angle lens. That's all. He appeared to be thinking that was the case.

Which is why you need to read the whole thread, we hashed over the fact that 35 mm is not WA on crop frame ad nauseum.

Correct. But the person I addressed the comments to was not aware of that.

"But it is only a 35mm if you don't use it. Once you use it, it's a 56"

I didn't say that, you did.   It is a 35mm no matter where it sits or gets used or not. That is all I was saying. 

"...compensated free form lens design and other such flotsam and jetsam,..."

I have no idea what that means.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements