cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED ADVISE BUYING A new full frame camera

240volt
Contributor

Hi, all,

i have a 80d with EF 100-400mm L f4.5-5.6 IS USM II and the 1.4 mk iii extender, i have read recently this lens is most suited with a full frame camera

could anyone advice me wich one to buy as there are so many models, im using it mostly for wildlife sports action and i also have a tokina sd 11mm 16mm f2.8 dx ii for astro photography .

Kind Regards Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Thanks for the info, the Tamron 150-600 looks awsome,  a bit out of my price range but ill be saving up for it 🙂

Best Regards Dave

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

The 18-135 *is* a good quality wide to "zoom" lens, what exactly are you looking for? Canon has some good wide angle ~10-18mm EF-S zooms if you want more on the wide end.

Hi 

I like the EF 70 -300 II. I have the one version and it works pretty well. There is an EF-S 55 - 250 which is *much* smaller and lighter and it gives you a FF equivalent of 400 mm. (The 300 mm has a FF equivalent of 480 mm).

I also have the Tamron 150-600 (which I am going to use on the Super Blue Blood moon tomorrow) and its Sigma cousins if you want even more reach at a bit of a stretch to your budget.

Hi Thanks for the info, the Tamron 150-600 looks awsome,  a bit out of my price range but ill be saving up for it 🙂

Best Regards Dave

The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF is almost as good as the big Tammy at a better price.  It is under a $1000 bucks although not much !

If you have to stay at your price point take a look at the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens.  It's a pretty nice lens for $300.  The 250mm end of that lens equated to 400mm, pretty decent FL for wildlife.

The Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens is $400.  I am not a big fan of this lens but it will do the job. (300mm = 480mm on your 80D.)  With these choices available I would steer clear of off brand lenses in this category.

If you can save up a bit longer I would hold out for the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF.

You know there is one that that is better than a better telephoto lens.  It is free, too!  Get closer.  Yeah, that's right closer is better than a better lens. Another tip, get a good post editor and learn how to use it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF is almost as good as the big Tammy at a better price.  It is under a $1000 bucks although not much !

If you have to stay at your price point take a look at the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens.  It's a pretty nice lens for $300.  The 250mm end of that lens equated to 400mm, pretty decent FL for wildlife.

The Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens is $400.  I am not a big fan of this lens but it will do the job. (300mm = 480mm on your 80D.)  With these choices available I would steer clear of off brand lenses in this category.

If you can save up a bit longer I would hold out for the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens for Canon EF.

You know there is one that that is better than a better telephoto lens.  It is free, too!  Get closer.  Yeah, that's right closer is better than a better lens. Another tip, get a good post editor and learn how to use it.

If you go for either the Sigma or Tamron 150-600mm lenses [highly recommended lenses], figure on spending an extra fifty bucks for the accessory interface that allows you to perform firmware updates, as well as perform micro adjustments to the focusing behavior of the lens itself.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Great. Tonight I will post some of my "blood moon" photos so you can see what 600 mm gets you.

HI, yes please, that would be great, i just sold my sold my sony rx10 mk3 shame i will miss it.

Cheers dave

Announcements