cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My EF-s 18-200 IS lens died. Frankly it was the worst lens Canon ever made, horrible vignetting.

Jim0
Apprentice

I want to get a different lens instead for my Rebel xti, or maybe two. I'm an amateur but want good quality photos, mostly landscapes but also close-ups, so I like a versatile lens. I was thinking of going to the L series but considering the cost, is that overkill for both the intended purpose and the adequate-but-not-extraordinay Rebel body? Would appreciate any guidance.

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have had five XTi's and used them for 1000's of photos.  I recently just gave away the last one.  I certainly would not have put mine into the, "... adequate-but-not-extraordinay Rebel body?", class!  They are quite capable cameras, don't sell it short.

If you want an outstanding lens for your XTi and save a bunch of money at the same time get the

Sigma APO 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM.  This lens will give you the same view as the ever popular 70-200mm does for the FF people.

The Sigma APO 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM is a constant aperture zoom and does not extend externally.

Very nice and very sharp even at f2.8

One reason I highly recommend this off-brand lens is, Canon does not make a 50-150mm designed for the APS-C bodies.

This lens is not going to be as 'wide' as the lens you are replacing so it would require the purchase of another lens along with it.  Such as the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM.  This would make a very nice combo.

The fact you would be reducing the zoom range is in itself going to make a better, sharper lens.

Either or both of these lenses will stick with you, too.  If, later, you decide to upgrade the camera to a T5i or 60D in the future.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for a thoughtful and helpful reply. I was thinking of upgrading the camera but not all at once. In my own defence, I described trhe xTi as adequate having shot side by side with a 5D owner (don't remember what Mark or exact lens, but not an L series) and being wowed by its capabilities.

Any idea why Sigma has discontinued the Canon mount for the APO 50-150 f2.8 ... ?

I doubt it is discontued.  It is likely out of stock.  This is a hugely popular lens for Sigma.

B&H and Adorama has them in stock.

EB

ScottyP
Authority
Hi, Jim0

You have seen the optical compromises needed to make a "does everything" lens, and you didn't like it. Rather than grab another one try getting two more specialized ones.

You want to do landscapes, so you want something wide. Wide on a crop needs to be wider than wide on full frame.

A Canon or Sigma 10-20 or 10-22 would be good for the wide landscapes.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Cameras/N/0/Ntt/CA102235EF

For just a bit more you could have the incredibly wide aperture (for a zoom) new Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 lens. No one has ever made a zoom with anything even close to an aperture this bright. .
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sigma-18-35mm-f-1.8-DC-HSM-Lens.aspx

For the long end, I'd consider going with a 70-200 L lens. They are all good, and they range in price from just $700 for the very sharp f/4 non-IS version to $2300 for the f/2.8 and IS version.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-4.0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

The old advice of buying new glass instead of new bodies is good advice.

Good luck!

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

You have seen the optical compromises needed to make a "does everything" lens, and you didn't like it. Rather than grab another one try getting two more specialized ones.

The old advice of buying new glass instead of new bodies is good advice.

This, and this.  There are plenty of good lenses out there, which one is right for you depends on you.  But don't try to cram too much into a lens, that's the whole point of SLR, being able to select the best lens for the job.

Jim0
Apprentice

Update. Based on the guidance I received, thank you all, I went ahead and ordered the Sigma 17-50 F2.8 and 70-200 F2.8. I'm a little wary of the lack of weatherproofing, but these seem to give maximum versatility with good IQ. Couldn't justify going to the Canon L for the money though the 70-200 F4 was most tempting. If I can, I'll update the results. I did not go with the Sigma 50-150 because the Sigma site itself shows the Canon mount discontinued. This concerned me, even tho some are still out there (but the price went up) because it makes no sense for Sigma to discontinue a lens that so ably fills a Canon gap.

“The 70-200mm F2.8 is a member of Sigma's premium 'EX' lens line, and build quality feels genuinely excellent, especially for the price point. This is a lens which feels more refined in fit and finish than its Tamron counterpart (or Tokina), and certainly appears sufficiently solid and robust to stand up to some fairly heavy use and abuse. However it doesn't match the sheer level of 'bombproof' build attained by the Canon ...”  (EF 70-200mm f2.8L II IS)

Undoubtedly this lens is not a EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, which has gained the status as the best 70-200mm lens on the planet.  Bar none!  But the fact, most of us can not afford or otherwise justify the rather lofty price tag of such performance, this Siggy fills the gap.

It is not a EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II. But it is very good and way better than the “kit” lenses in every  way.

PS. How many times do you get your equipment wet or in the rain?  If often, you may want to consider a lens coat. Remember your Xti is not weather-proof either!

EB
Announcements