cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My EF-S 18-55mm can't do consecutive autofocus

aerysa
Apprentice

Hi everyone! I'm using the kit lens with Canon 60D. The lens can autofocus but would not move if I try to take another shot. I would have to move back to MF, twist the focus ring a little then move back to AF for it to work again.

The autofocus works fine with the other lenses that I have. The lens has never been dropped. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4

Lotus7
Rising Star

The EF-S 18-55 is notorious for auto-focus gear-train issues.  The easy, obvious response is to suggest you contact Canon and send it in for repair.  Unfortunately, that will almost certainly cost more then the lens is currently worth.

Having to set the lens to manual and then "move the focus ring ring a little" almost certainly indicates some damage to the fragile, plastic auto-focus gear train.  This is such a common enough occurance with this particular lens that there are several on-line sources for replacement gears and/or the focus motor and gear-train assembly.

Used, working EF-S 18-55 lenses (some fully guaranteed) are available for $40 to $80. (see B & H). Replacements for the small gears that typically fail are available for $5 or 6 each.  (see YouTube for the repair process and eBay for the parts from China.)  The focus motor assembly typically sells for under $20.  Changing gears or the focus motor assembly can be done in less than 10 minutes if you have patience, reasonably steady hands, needle-tip tweezers and small screwdrivers.  A large desk magnifier is also helpful if your eyes are as old as mine. 🙂

Alternatively, you can leave the MF/AF slider on "MF" and just focus manually the way we all did it in ancient times.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@aerysa wrote:

Hi everyone! I'm using the kit lens with Canon 60D. The lens can autofocus but would not move if I try to take another shot. I would have to move back to MF, twist the focus ring a little then move back to AF for it to work again.

The autofocus works fine with the other lenses that I have. The lens has never been dropped. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Sounds like you have an older version of the lens, pre-STM, and your AF motors are jammed.  It is not an uncommon problem among new Rebel DSLR users.  There is 100,000 views post in the Rebel forum somewhere that tells you how "fix" it.

My best guess as to what is happening is that the older lens lacks MF override.  People are looking through the OVF to change the zoom setting, but turn the focus ring by mistake, which can jam the AF motors.  The "fix" is not for the walk at heart.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Take the lens off of your camera.
Put the lens in MF mode.
Twist the FOCUS ring (the tip of the lens) all the way to one side (extend it). You may hear a click noise or two, this is good, but don't FORCE the lens.
Twist the FOCUS ring all the way to the opposite side (retract it). Again, you may hear a couple of clicking noises. What we hope is happening is the focusing motor being put back into its proper place.
Put the lens back on the camera.
Put the lens in AF mode.
Turn the camera on.
Put the camera in AUTO or P mode.
Take a test photo.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The lens has never been dropped."

You don't have to drop it to get the gears messed up.  But in the future don't move the focus ring when the lens is set to AF mode and you are trying to take a picture.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements