Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

My EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens has developed serious lens creep. Is this normal or are seals bad or ?

My EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens has developed serious lens creep.  Is this normal or are seals bad or ?  I don't recall it being an issue at first.

Forum Elite

Re: My EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens has developed serious lens creep. Is this normal or are seals bad o

[ Edited ]

Does it happen? You bet. But is it normal? No. However most zoom lenses of this type will creep sooner or later if you use it a lot.

Depending on how old it is, you may get Canon warranty to service it. They can tighten it up. My 24-105mm f4 L does that too.

I just live with it as this lens has seen a lot of duty.

This is actually a pretty nice lens. I was thoroughly impressed with the one I got to try.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
New Contributor

Re: My EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS lens has developed serious lens creep. Is this normal or are seals bad o

Thanks, have to check how long I've had it. I like it a lot -crisp images and great low light performance. It is a bit big and heavy is my major issue.
Occasional Contributor

Check out Lens Bands here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=lens+bands&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma 

They should solve the problem for you.  They also make good camoflage for the red rings on L lenses when I don't want to advertise what I'm carrying.