cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 50mm 1.4 is stuck at 1.4

ragercker901
Apprentice

My canon 50mm 1.4 lens is stuck at f/1.4.  The image is identical from 1.4 all the way to f/22.  I don't know why this is happening.  Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9

ScottyP
Authority
Do you mean the camera reads whatever aperture you set? What do you mean the image is the same all the way to f/22? I can see the DOF staying the same if the aperture was frozen, but how is the image not overexposed if the camera thinks the lens is stopped down to f/22? Unless you were shooting Manual, it seems like the camera would be slowing the shutter to give a correct exposure for f/22, which would overexposed the shot with the lens really open to f/1.4.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"My canon 50mm 1.4 lens is stuck at f/1.4."

You have it set to Av mode.  Switch back to the green square.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"My canon 50mm 1.4 lens is stuck at f/1.4."

You have it set to Av mode.  Switch back to the green square.

Why would you use the green square if you were trying to get a different aperture?  Av is exactly the mode I'd use - or manual.

"Why would you use the green square ..."

By mistake!  Smiley Surprised

EB

ScottyP
Authority

Perhaps the OP will elaborate on which mode he is in, and what the camera and lens are doing.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Sorry for not giving enough info.  I first tested the lens on a t3i when I discovered the problem.  I then switched to a 5Dmkii to see if it was the camera but I had the same issue.  I was in video mode on the t3i and manual on the 5D.  It seems like the lens won't move from f/1.4 even thought the cameras read at different f stops. 

@ragercker901 wrote:

Sorry for not giving enough info.  I first tested the lens on a t3i when I discovered the problem.  I then switched to a 5Dmkii to see if it was the camera but I had the same issue.  I was in video mode on the t3i and manual on the 5D.  It seems like the lens won't move from f/1.4 even thought the cameras read at different f stops. 

If you begin recording at a different aperture does it look like it's shot at that aperture or still 1.4?  If you're on manual and just change the aperture then does the exposure dim?  Can you change the aperture for stills?  Sorry, don't know much about video, but that's where I'd start my trouble shooting.

No matter what I do the aperture doesn't change.  I've shot with the lens/camera for over 3 years and this is the first time I've had a problem like this. 

I think yiu have answered your own question, it is broke. Smiley Sad

EB
Announcements