cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moisture in lense

rockb
Contributor

Took a bunch of pictures the other day and many of them had spots in the pictures.  Took a look at the lense and there looks to be moisture in the lense. 

1.  Is there any way to fix this or is it shot?

2.  How would this happen?

IMG_9984.JPG

EOS 20D
13 REPLIES 13

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Alan Myers is absolutely correct, again, about the dust showing up worse at smaller apertures.

When the lens is stopped down to say f16, f11, etc, the light rays coming from the lens are more perpendicular to the sensor. Because the angle (AOA) is straighter.  The dust specks can cast a direct shadow on the sensor.  The specks will become more fuzzy and may disappear altogether at f1.4, f1.2 or even f2.  Now you know why dust show up in your photos with smaller apertures.

Well, I'd have to think about that. I suppose there could be a diffraction pattern or something similar playing a role.

"Maybe it's just my witlessness, ..."

Witlessness?  Is that a word?  OK!  Smiley Very Happy

Um... If you insist on a Latin derivation, how about "simplicity"? (I rather prefer it to "stupidity" in this context.)

BTW, remember the dust is not actually on the sensor.  It is on the filter that is in front of the sensor.

Yeah, I guess. Anyway, that comment is what made me think of diffraction.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I'm waiting on a response from Canon on how to send it to them.  Thanks for the help

EOS 20D

I am not sure regular Canon still works on the 20D.  I only use CPS and not the general Canon service, though.  Do you have a local shop?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The spots in your pictures almost certainly are unrelated to anything inside or on the lens.  What is in the lens or on its front or rear element will almost never show up in images... Those can increase flare and reduce resolution... But simply won't show up as "spots in the picture"."

Absolutely and 'spot' on.  Smiley Happy  But I suggest you put the lens on a warm, not hot, heating pad.  Like the ones you put on a sprain or muscle ache.  It may take several days, if it is water.  It can be oil.  If it is oil, it will need service by a Canon repair shop.

The EF 28-135mm is a great lens but it is no water resistant like some of Canon's lenses are.  Even if it is just a little damp it can have water infussion.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements