cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro lens or Extension Tube

limvo05
Rising Star

Hi All,

With the lockdown, I am thinking of playing around with macro photography. I was thinking of getting a dedicated macro lens like the 100mm f/2.8, but then I saw some youtube videos of people playing with extension tubes.

I have a 24-70mm f/2.8 ii and a 70-200mm f/2.8 ii. Both of these lenses are fantastic especially when paired with my Canon 5Ds.

In that sense, is the macro lens any sharper than my two lenses paired with the extension tube? And if you recommend an extension tube, which brand would you recommend?

Thanks.

23 REPLIES 23

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@limvo05 wrote:

Here is a sample I took with a few minutes ago @200mm f/2.8 1/640 ISO100. Almost raw without editing. All I did here was to crop it to a 1x1 factor. 

The "1:1 crop factor" describes how the image is displayed on your monitor, not how the image might be cropped.  Your "1:1 crop factor" is actually a ratio, better known as a zoom ratio of 100%.  

The 1:1 ratio is describing that for each pixel in the image, one pixel will be used to display it on your monitor.  A 100% zoom ratio will look very different when viewed on monitors set to different display resolutions.

Yeah, he should have said "aspect ratio" instead of "crop factor", but I think we all understood what he meant. The stuff about pixels and monitors is irrelevant to his point.

I disagree.  

I do not thing he was describing an aspect ratio.  I am certain that he was trying to describe a "crop factor" of the original shot.  Many people conflate the displayed zoom ratio in their processing software with crop factor.  A 1:1 crop factor would imply no cropping, at all.

Only the OP can clarify the matter, should he elect to do so. But in defense of my interpretation of his intent, I'll simply point out that the picture, as submitted, is square. I.e, it has a 1:1 aspect ratio.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"... is square. I.e, it has a 1:1 aspect ratio."

Good point.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Nice work.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thank you! Technically speaking, I think focus stacking would work, but it required a lot more time and effort. Not sure mention you'll need a pretty decent computer to compute. I tested the same sequence using my 10+ years old iMac and it's still going hard at it. On my new computer, it took a good 5 minutes to go through these photos.

Thank you all!

Announcements