cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro lens for Canon 5D Mark iii

Antonrides
Contributor

I'm taking a Class with NYIP and need to submit a macro photo. Not sure I really want to get into macro so I was hoping for suggestions on cheaper a lens or tubes. Any suggestions?

8 REPLIES 8

What lenses do yu have? Some telephotos have a close-focus capability that approximates true macro.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

How much magnification do you need for this project? 

Buying a set of extension tubes will cost you less than $100 and allow you to get 1:1 Macro magnification with almost any lens you have now. 

_yq9p0087.jpg

Another cheap option is to use a reversing filter ring to mount a 50mm lens backwards onto to any lens you have now. 

49-52mm-reverse-ring-1.jpg

The cheapest option of all is to just hold the lens backwards against the camera body. I just took this photo of a pencil holding an EF 50mm 1.8 up against the camera body.

5D3_3290.jpg

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First, a macro lens does not do just macro.  It can be used as a normal everyday lens.  So with that in mind, is there any lens you might like to add to your 5D Mk III ?  A great camera, BTW.

You can choose from 50mm to 180mm and have a true "macro" lens which the other methods don't really give you.  For instance if you wanted a 200mm prime lens, you might consider the EF 180mm f3.5 macro.  A very top notch lenses.

A real macro lens is made differently than non-macro lenses.  Some zoom lenses have a macro setting but they are not a true macro. Sigma also makes some very interesting macro lenses in the 50mm to 180mm range.

And of course you can always rent one for a week or two.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

First, a macro lens does not do just macro.  It can be used as a normal everyday lens.  So with that in mind, is there any lens you might like to add to your 5D Mk III ?  A great camera, BTW.

You can choose from 50mm to 180mm and have a true "macro" lens which the other methods don't really give you.  For instance if you wanted a 200mm prime lens, you might consider the EF 180mm f3.5 macro.  A very top notch lenses.

Isn't that the lens that does 4x or thereabouts but is extremely hard to use?

A real macro lens is made differently than non-macro lenses.  Some zoom lenses have a macro setting but they are not a true macro. Sigma also makes some very interesting macro lenses in the 50mm to 180mm range.

And of course you can always rent one for a week or two.

This sounds like an invitation to mission creep. The OP isn't trying to become a world-class bug and flower photographer; he's looking for a financially expedient way to satisfy a coursework requirement at the NY Institute. Let him get his certification and then worry about what lenses he needs in order to make a living.

Actually, as I think about it, renting isn't a bad idea for the OP's requirement. But I guess I'd rent one of the 100mm's, not the 180 (if I'm right about what the latter is).

Bob

"This sounds like an invitation to mission creep."

No it does not, if as stated he/she wanted a certain prime lens anyway.  If it is simply a one use assignment and no further needs, than renting is the best choice.

The other suggestions, which would work, are wrought with other issues and in the end are not macros.  In the true use of the word macro that is.  A macro is a certain type of lens.

EB

Bob from Boston said,

"... not the 180 (if I'm right about what the latter is)."

If I were in the market for a macro the EF 180mm f3.5 L would be it.  I have since sold all my macro lenses since they were just sitting in the old darkroom unused for great periods of time.

If you have never used that lens, hold your tongue untill you have.  It is amazing.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston said,

"... not the 180 (if I'm right about what the latter is)."

If I were in the market for a macro the EF 180mm f3.5 L would be it.  I have since sold all my macro lenses since they were just sitting in the old darkroom unused for great periods of time.

If you have never used that lens, hold your tongue untill you have.  It is amazing.

I've heard that it's amazing but extremely tricky to use. I.e., not a lens for someone just learning to do macro. Or am I confusing it with a different (Canon macro) lens?

Bob

I never found it difficult plus it makes a wonderfull telephoto.  It is slow to focus so sports would not be its forte.

But if you say difficult as compaing it to the EF 50mm f1.2 or EF 85mm f1.2, it is a breeze.  Now the 50 and 85 are challenging, to say the least.  But there is nothing like them which is the same for the big 180mm macro.

EB
Announcements