cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro Advice Needed

erskine
Contributor

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and a reall rookie whenn it comes to photography.

I have a Canon EOS700D which I thinkmis called a Rebel T5i in other parts of the world. With the camera I use the follow lenses:

EFS - 18-55mm

EFS - 55-250mm

EF - 40mm

Recently I decided to have a go at some macro photography and thought I could do this with the existing lenses. But I find that I cannot get close enough with these lenses. Foolishly, I thought that the fact that they mentioned 'macro' on the lenses meant that they would be suitable for photographing small objects. I think I now understand that they can get close - but not close enough? I would be happy for anyone to correct or confirm this. 🙂

So, I had a look for a macro lens and found that the cost was just too expensive for me to afford.

I then read that it was possible to reverse the lenses and use them in conjunction with an 'reversing ring'. So, I bought 2 rings to fit my lenses. However, it seems that the lens that I have wll not focu manually when not fitted the correct way. Rresumably because the lens does not recognise that the camera is turned on when the contacts are not meeting? So it seems that reversing the lenses will not work unless I work within some limitations of focusing using the zoom to the point where the object comes in focus. Again, limiting the effectiveness of the lens. The 40mm lens does not work at all in this case.

Now I have heard that you can buy 'close up' lenses to attach to the fornt of the lens which will magnify the existing lens making photographing tiny objects possible. These can be reasonably priced - especially if lesser known ones are bought. But even Canon ones are more reasonably priced than a true macro lens.

So......... can anyone tell me if the 'close up' attachments are worth buying? Will they work with the lenses that I mention? Or am I wasting my time and money once more?

Apologies if this question has been asked before, but I was hoping to learn more by entering into a discussion about what I am trying to do. As I said, I am pretty much ignorant about photography but as I now find myself with more time on my hands, I would like to get involved more and learn what  can do with my camera.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

With modern electronic lenses, the tricks of reversing lenses and using extension tubes are gettingmore difficult or almost just as expensive as a dedicated lens.

I suggest you bite the bullet and get the EF-S 60mm macro.

IMG_3411.jpg

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

The best solution is to get your hands on the already mentioned EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro lens.

Hi, thanks for that. I did buy a used 60mm lens and it arrived today. I have had a look at it and it looks it really good condition. I have only taken a couple of very quick photos with it to test it as it is now going away for a week until I get it given back to me as an anniversary gift!!! It also incuded a lens hood which I was not expecting. 🙂

"I did buy a used 60mm lens and it arrived today. "

You know you can use it for more than just a macro. It is a pretty good general use lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I did buy a used 60mm lens and it arrived today. "

You know you can use it for more than just a macro. It is a pretty good general use lens.

I thought that may be the case, but it is good to know. I currently have a 18-55mm lens that I tend to use as my general purpose one. But it will be interesting getting to 'know' this new lens.

Tim said, "I used to own the EF-S 60mm macro (and I bought a hood)."

Tim is spot on. The hood is a great add-on. All your lenses should have a hood.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I used to own the EF-S 60mm macro (and I bought a hood).  When I went full-frame and sold off my last APS-C body, I gifted the lens to my nephew.  

But for a while, I still had it and my EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM (a really nice lens - I still have this lens) to compare.  I was always amazed at how that EF-S 60mm could hold it’s own against the Canon “L” series macro.  That 60mm is a favorite and one of the finest EF-S lenses in the lineup.  I hope you really enjoy it!

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

I used to own the EF-S 60mm macro (and I bought a hood).  When I went full-frame and sold off my last APS-C body, I gifted the lens to my nephew.  

But for a while, I still had it and my EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM (a really nice lens - I still have this lens) to compare.  I was always amazed at how that EF-S 60mm could hold it’s own against the Canon “L” series macro.  That 60mm is a favorite and one of the finest EF-S lenses in the lineup.  I hope you really enjoy it!

Many thanks. It will certainly open up more options for me now and I am looking forward to learning how to get the best from it.

Announcements