Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Macro Advice Needed

I used to own the EF-S 60mm macro (and I bought a hood).  When I went full-frame and sold off my last APS-C body, I gifted the lens to my nephew.  

But for a while, I still had it and my EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM (a really nice lens - I still have this lens) to compare.  I was always amazed at how that EF-S 60mm could hold it’s own against the Canon “L” series macro.  That 60mm is a favorite and one of the finest EF-S lenses in the lineup.  I hope you really enjoy it!

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

@TCampbell wrote:

I used to own the EF-S 60mm macro (and I bought a hood).  When I went full-frame and sold off my last APS-C body, I gifted the lens to my nephew.  

But for a while, I still had it and my EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM (a really nice lens - I still have this lens) to compare.  I was always amazed at how that EF-S 60mm could hold it’s own against the Canon “L” series macro.  That 60mm is a favorite and one of the finest EF-S lenses in the lineup.  I hope you really enjoy it!

Many thanks. It will certainly open up more options for me now and I am looking forward to learning how to get the best from it.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I did buy a used 60mm lens and it arrived today. "

You know you can use it for more than just a macro. It is a pretty good general use lens.

I thought that may be the case, but it is good to know. I currently have a 18-55mm lens that I tend to use as my general purpose one. But it will be interesting getting to 'know' this new lens.

Highlighted
VIP

Tim said, "I used to own the EF-S 60mm macro (and I bought a hood)."

Tim is spot on. The hood is a great add-on. All your lenses should have a hood.

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi guys, Here is my first post! I fancy treating myself to a Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L Macro IS USM lens. A friend gave me an EF 25 2 Extension Tube and I was wondering if anyone has used this combination? I do feel like selling the tube and putting the proceeds towards another L Lens but could I be sorry and should I keep the tube? Regards, Johnny
Highlighted
VIP

@Johnny-Angel wrote:
Hi guys, Here is my first post! I fancy treating myself to a Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L Macro IS USM lens. A friend gave me an EF 25 2 Extension Tube and I was wondering if anyone has used this combination? I do feel like selling the tube and putting the proceeds towards another L Lens but could I be sorry and should I keep the tube? Regards, Johnny

Without knowing the focal length of the lens you are using with the extension tube, it is not possible to answer your question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."