cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macro Advice Needed

erskine
Contributor

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and a reall rookie whenn it comes to photography.

I have a Canon EOS700D which I thinkmis called a Rebel T5i in other parts of the world. With the camera I use the follow lenses:

EFS - 18-55mm

EFS - 55-250mm

EF - 40mm

Recently I decided to have a go at some macro photography and thought I could do this with the existing lenses. But I find that I cannot get close enough with these lenses. Foolishly, I thought that the fact that they mentioned 'macro' on the lenses meant that they would be suitable for photographing small objects. I think I now understand that they can get close - but not close enough? I would be happy for anyone to correct or confirm this. 🙂

So, I had a look for a macro lens and found that the cost was just too expensive for me to afford.

I then read that it was possible to reverse the lenses and use them in conjunction with an 'reversing ring'. So, I bought 2 rings to fit my lenses. However, it seems that the lens that I have wll not focu manually when not fitted the correct way. Rresumably because the lens does not recognise that the camera is turned on when the contacts are not meeting? So it seems that reversing the lenses will not work unless I work within some limitations of focusing using the zoom to the point where the object comes in focus. Again, limiting the effectiveness of the lens. The 40mm lens does not work at all in this case.

Now I have heard that you can buy 'close up' lenses to attach to the fornt of the lens which will magnify the existing lens making photographing tiny objects possible. These can be reasonably priced - especially if lesser known ones are bought. But even Canon ones are more reasonably priced than a true macro lens.

So......... can anyone tell me if the 'close up' attachments are worth buying? Will they work with the lenses that I mention? Or am I wasting my time and money once more?

Apologies if this question has been asked before, but I was hoping to learn more by entering into a discussion about what I am trying to do. As I said, I am pretty much ignorant about photography but as I now find myself with more time on my hands, I would like to get involved more and learn what  can do with my camera.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

With modern electronic lenses, the tricks of reversing lenses and using extension tubes are gettingmore difficult or almost just as expensive as a dedicated lens.

I suggest you bite the bullet and get the EF-S 60mm macro.

IMG_3411.jpg

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Porcha
Rising Star

Hi Erskine,

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however, we need to let you know that the Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, to go: https://global.canon and select your country or region for your support needs.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

@Porcha wrote:

Hi Erskine,

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however, we need to let you know that the Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, to go: https://global.canon and select your country or region for your support needs.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Many thanks, Porcha. I think this is the only forum though. Is that correct?

"I think this is the only forum though. Is that correct?"

One of the advantages of Canon USA.  Smiley Happy  Where are you from?  There may be one there also.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I think this is the only forum though. Is that correct?"

One of the advantages of Canon USA.  Smiley Happy  Where are you from?  There may be one there also.

Thanks for the advice. Fortuentely I didnt waste too much money on the reversing rings. However, I do hear what you are saying and have been looking at the used market following an earlier response.

I am in Scotland ans had a look on the Canon site for any links to a UK/Europe forum but did not fnd anything. I will try a more general search.

OK great.

If there isn't a refurb store in Scotland, you might see if Canon USA ships outside the US. Or, B&H sometimes has Canon refurbs for sale. You can check there.  They also have used.   The advantage is the Canon refurbs come with a warranty as new for a lesser price.  B&H and the other top web based retailers like Adorama, Roberts, etc also offer a warranty on their used lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi!  Just to chime in, all purchases made thorugh Canon USA require both billing and shipping addresses to be located within the United States.  We're unable to ship internationally.

Hope that helps!

Thanks. Had a quick look there and certified refurbished Canon lenses don't seem easy to find over here. There are some, but very few. But I will keep looking.

Take a look at extension tubes. An extension tube will extend your lens away from the sensor and turn your lens into a magnifying glass (you won't be able to focus on far away objects). It will also keep communication between your lens and camera, so you can auto-focus and adjust f-stops. The quality is very good depending on the lens you use it with. They are VERY affordable. I got mine for around $30. I don’t know if Canon makes extension tubes though. I would NOT recommend the lens reversing technique. It’s too difficult to use.

Hi guys, Here is my first post! I fancy treating myself to a Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L Macro IS USM lens. A friend gave me an EF 25 2 Extension Tube and I was wondering if anyone has used this combination? I do feel like selling the tube and putting the proceeds towards another L Lens but could I be sorry and should I keep the tube? Regards, Johnny
Announcements