Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Lurching of image in viewfinder when IS starts up

I recently purchased a 70-200 f2.8 IS II and have the following question;

Every once in awhile when I first turn on the camera and press half way down on the shutter button to focus and start up the IS, not only do I hear the faint sound of the IS kicking in, but I also see a very slight lurch of the entire frame in the viewfinder. It is very slight but definitely noticeable. While I understand that the IS is just kicking in, what I do not understand is what this lurch is about and why it only happens on very few occasions, again usually when I use the lens for the first time during the day.

I have read conflicting opinions in forums around the internet where some say this is normal, others say it is a sign that something is wrong. I do not see this lurching behavior with any of my other IS lenses but I DO see it every single time I use my Canon IS binoculars. Again it only happens very rarely with the 70-200 but when it does happen I wonder about it.

Comments please?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lurching of image in viewfinder when IS starts up

I'dconsider it normal and just the result of the gyro's kicking in but lets see what others say. On the Sigma lenses I owned which had OS (IS in Canon lingo) it was much more noticible.  

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."