Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low budget lenses for amateurs

shumonsaha
Enthusiast

Dear Friends

I own a 600 D with 18-135 kit lens.

Recently I was suggested a 50 mm 1.8 in this forum. Big thanks for the tip. Really love this lens.

I want to expand my lens kit without rushing into big spends right now.

Request to recommend 2 more lens that can be really useful for amateur photography.

I have noticed the following

1. Although 50mm 1.8 is good , I find it difficult to us during events like weddings etc where moving closer physically is not an option always.

2. My kit lens 18-135 is good. But with zoom, aperture cant be opened wide. Blurring backgrounds become difficult with this.

3. For outdoor shoot , the kit lens is not good enough as the zoom is too small.

4. Please also recommend for any other occasions that an amateur photographer might need specific lenses and I might not have still figured out.

5. Most important - Want to constrain myself to maximum 2 more additions only to my bag.

6. Budget - Lower the better. A great recommendation eg. was the 50 mm 1.8. Works superb and at extreme low price.

Preferred budget between 150$ to 300 $ for each lens.

*** However, can increase budget if you feel any lens is critical and needs to be added to an amateurs bag.

7. I dont have any particular prefence for canon and open to look at all brands

Hope my query is clear and precise. 

thanks in advance for the help

rgds

Suman

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

cicopo
Elite

Wide aperture lenses are expensive & in a zoom more expensive yet so I don't think there's any way to fit that budget short of buying a used Tamron 28-75 f2.8. As for longer look at both the Canon 70-300 IS and Tamron 70-300 VC, new or used.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

Skirball
Authority

@shumonsaha wrote:

6. Budget - Lower the better. Works superb and at extreme low price.

These two variables are, in general, inversely proportional.  If they weren't we'd all own the same lens.  Getting longer reach with wider apertures requires a lot of glass, so it's expensive, there's not really any way around that.  The budget you're working with if very small compared to upper-end equipement budgets, and the general need of "longer, sharper, and faster" is an upper end kind of thing.  But besides those "needs", which is kind of a general "need" of everyone, you really seem more like you just want new lenses, not that you have a specific need that your current setup isn't doing.

I would recommend getting a refurbished version of the 55-250mm Mark I from Canon.  A new version came out, and although it looks a little better I'd use it to get a cheaper version of the original.  Unless you're shooting video, then the STM motor could be helpful.  It's fairly cheap, give you some additional reach, and perhaps quench that "need" for new stuff.  As far as the bokeh, the nifty fifty is certainly capable of that, do you have to have longer focal lengths for heavy bokeh shots?  Can you separate your subject from your background and use the compression of the long lens to mute out your background?  The only other cheap option is the 85/1.8, but that's not much extra reach.  Prices start heading up with something like the 100/f2, and then they start to skyrocket.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

cicopo
Elite

Wide aperture lenses are expensive & in a zoom more expensive yet so I don't think there's any way to fit that budget short of buying a used Tamron 28-75 f2.8. As for longer look at both the Canon 70-300 IS and Tamron 70-300 VC, new or used.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you.will save up and buy. 🙂

While you're doing that maybe there will be some other good suggestions.

The real "sleeper" in the Rebel series lenses right now is the SIgma 50-150mm f2.8 EX DC OS HSM.

It is a bit more than your $300 limit but it is a real value. It will rival some of Canon's "L" series and will do it at half the price.

On a Rebel this lens mimics the popular 70-200mm zoom lens range.

Get one, you will not be disappointed.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you.but does the 50-150 mm have image stabiliser?

Also what are advantages and disadvantages if I have to make a choice between 50-150 vs 28 to 75 mm as suggested in other post.

Sorry if I am asking basic questions.but need to make a choice and I dont have option of renting a lens here.

Thank you for the reply.

Rgds.

Suman

Oh, BTW, my standard warning, never buy off-brand lenses "used". Never, never ever! Smiley Frustrated

Unless you are certain of it's history and/or can evaluate on YOUR camera.

EB

cuda719
Enthusiast

I was at that point for quite a while and what I did was rent several different lens I liked the Tamron 24-70 f2.8. It has the 2.8 for low light, IS for the people who like that and sealed from moisture and dust. After I purchased that one I sold my kit lens for a decent price saved up some money and bought the Canon 70-200 f4 IS. I still rent lenses all the time to see the advatages of different focal lenghts.

Thank you for reply.

However renting is not an option in my city.

So am depending on others experience for this

Rgds

Suman

"Thank you.but does the 50-150 mm have image stabiliser?"

Yes it does. That is what the “OS” refers to in the rather long, cryptic name.

The Tamron 28-75 f2.8 is a nice lens but it is not a great lens. Especially when compared to the Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM.

The Tamron is still more in the class of a kit lens, while the Sigma is more of a pro lens. But if the wider end of the focal length range is what you want than the Tamron will be your choice.

In the 50 to 75mm range of either the Sigma is going to be better. But it is going to cost more.

The Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD is a great lens but it's price is getting very high for what it is. For a few more bucks you could get a Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L. And you can easily get a nice used copy for less. I would never buy a 3rd party lens when a real Canon branded lens is available in the same price range. You need to remember, there are more factors to consider than simply optics or price. Of course this is my opinion and others may differ.

Imagine stabilization is not nearly the advantage in wider focal lengths as it is with long focal lengths.

EB
Announcements