cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for input on lens purchase

Orcrone
Enthusiast

I own the Canon T4i along with three zoom lenses; the EF-S 10-22, an EF-S 18-135 STM and an EF 70-300. Canon has the EF 24-105 F4l refurbished on sale for $639.99 and I'm wondering about pulling the trigger. One concern is the three lenses have a nice amount of overlap that I would lose on the 24 mm end with thiws purchase. I'm not a professional photographer,  but I do occasionally blow up a shot and hang it on the walls.

Normally I leave my 18-135 on the camera. With the 24-105 having less reach on each end of the scale I'm concerned about how much more often I'll be changing lenses.

Are my concerns unjustified? I've never useds an L series lens before, so I'm not sure about how much of an improvement I will see. Will it offset any potential disadvantages?

Thanks

76 REPLIES 76

"Image quality improvement per dollar spent."

Certainly you jest? Or you have not had your morning coffee!  $11,000 vs $2000?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It's $3000+ when you add the Tamron lens and in my opinion he will only see marginal improvement in image quality. Especially considering he could spend 1/10 that buying a prime lens for his T4i and get the same degree of improvement for the narrow usage where he needs it.

TTMartin I am totally lost.  Somewhere in this you lost me completely.

ebiggs1 wrote:

It's $3000+ when you add the Tamron lens and in my opinion he will only see marginal improvement in image quality. Especially considering he could spend 1/10 that buying a prime lens for his T4i and get the same degree of improvement for the narrow usage where he needs it.

I was referring to your decision to buy a EF 600mm vs the Sigma S lens.  If you see $9000 dollars worth of improvement than so be it.  I do not having an older 600 and the newer Sigma S.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I was referring to your decision to buy a EF 600mm vs the Sigma S lens.  If you see $9000 dollars worth of improvement than so be it.  I do not having an older 600 and the newer Sigma S.

I have a good copy of the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 if focuses quickly enough, and has good image quality even when using TCs. I just don't see myself getting much if any benefit out of the Sigma 150-600 Sport. I don't gain anything in f/stops, I don't gain anything in weight. What I gain is Image stabilization, and very marginal improvements in image quality. So in my opinion that's a waste of $2000.
You must have a good copy of the Sigma 150-600 Sport or a bad copy of the EF 600 f/4 IS because, I don't see what you are saying in this side by side comparison. 

You misunderstood me as I likely have of you.

I indicated there was not $9000 dollars difference.

As to the benefit of the Siggy S over the Siggy 120-300mm is debatable.  Take notice, I list it in my sig.  I use it quite a bit.

I have a 2x and a 1.4x.  Do you really think it equals the 150-600mm after you add a 2x to it?  If you do, I respect it and query no futher.

IMHO, I will do almost whatever to never use a tele converter.  You are sastisfied with their use, so be it.

However, I will suggest you actually use the lenses in question and stop reading so many reviews from others.  Real world use does not exist in the lab!

EB

I just ordered the 5D Mark iii from Adorama. Canon had a nice promotion going on. For the same price as just the camera body ($2499) I also received a Canon Pixma Pro-100 printer, photo paper, 64 gb memory card, extra third party battery, carry case and 1 year spill/drop warranty. And with the bundle there's also a $350 mail in rebate. I don't need the printer so I'll sell that on eBay and Adorama has a 6% bonus program which will give me another $150 to spend in about a month and a half. I'll put that towards the battery grip. So for hte cost of purchasing a used camera on eBay I purchased a new one with Canon warranty. I also ordered the Tamron 24-70 which should be here Monday.

Mod Note: Removed solicitation per forum guidelines. 

Not sure you would get the most bang for the buck from a battery grip.  Batteries last a long time, and I really never have had much problem with running out of juice, even shooting 100's and 100's of images.  And the ergonomics of the 5d3 are quite nice and quite chunky without the big grip added.  Try it and see though.

At risk of re-igniting the flames, glass is always a good investment.  You really can't get the feel for a prime by just pegging a zoom at 35mm or 50mm or whatever, because you won't have the f/1.4 -ish wide aperture, so not the super thin DOF, not the same low light shutter speed, etc...  A prime for somewhere between $125 and $375 could really be the one thing that makes your images look the most different, and the most improved, or certainly the most difference per dollar spent anyway.

Good luck with your new camera!

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

Not sure you would get the most bang for the buck from a battery grip.  Batteries last a long time, and I really never have had much problem with running out of juice, even shooting 100's and 100's of images.  And the ergonomics of the 5d3 are quite nice and quite chunky without the big grip added.  Try it and see though.

At risk of re-igniting the flames, glass is always a good investment.  You really can't get the feel for a prime by just pegging a zoom at 35mm or 50mm or whatever, because you won't have the f/1.4 -ish wide aperture, so not the super thin DOF, not the same low light shutter speed, etc...  A prime for somewhere between $125 and $375 could really be the one thing that makes your images look the most different, and the most improved, or certainly the most difference per dollar spent anyway.

Good luck with your new camera!

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely play with the camera a bit before getting the grip. I have enjoyed mine on the T4i. As far as primes, Canon makes a 50mm f/1.8 for a little over $100. It wouldn't be a big deal if I purchase that at some time. If I don't like it, that's not much of an investment. I wouldn't want to buy the $1200+ f/1.2L, but even a few hundred on the F/1.4 would be doable. But first I'll try the camera with the zooms.

@TTMartin wrote:

You're really having trouble dealing with me purchasing a new camera and lens. Perhaps I may refer you to a 12 f-stop program for your anxiety.

@Orcrone wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

You're really having trouble dealing with me purchasing a new camera and lens. Perhaps I may refer you to a 12 f-stop program for your anxiety.

It's your money spend it how you want. I can only offer advice based on my personal experience and knowledge.

If you are only looking for improvements in image quality you are spending way more than you need to.

However, if you get personal satisfaction and status from owning a full frame camera then go for it.

Announcements