cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for input on lens purchase

Orcrone
Enthusiast

I own the Canon T4i along with three zoom lenses; the EF-S 10-22, an EF-S 18-135 STM and an EF 70-300. Canon has the EF 24-105 F4l refurbished on sale for $639.99 and I'm wondering about pulling the trigger. One concern is the three lenses have a nice amount of overlap that I would lose on the 24 mm end with thiws purchase. I'm not a professional photographer,  but I do occasionally blow up a shot and hang it on the walls.

Normally I leave my 18-135 on the camera. With the 24-105 having less reach on each end of the scale I'm concerned about how much more often I'll be changing lenses.

Are my concerns unjustified? I've never useds an L series lens before, so I'm not sure about how much of an improvement I will see. Will it offset any potential disadvantages?

Thanks

76 REPLIES 76

@RobertTheFat wrote:

At one point in this thread you had said you had decided against the 5D Mk II and were set on the 5D Mk III. When and if you get the 5D Mk II then decide on the lens. BTW, the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM would make a great lens to get acquainted with your 5D Mk II while you shop for your ultimate lens.

What on earth is going on here? Three inches above the cursor as I type, he says he's already bid on five Mark III's. How did a Mark II get back in the picture?

I was also wondering when I changed my mind.

No wins tonight. I can't believe what these are sellling for!!! One just sold used for $2051 plus shipping. I can buy a refurbished for $2239 with a Canon USA warranty. Why would someone spend that much on a used one?

@Orcrone wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

At one point in this thread you had said you had decided against the 5D Mk II and were set on the 5D Mk III. When and if you get the 5D Mk II then decide on the lens. BTW, the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM would make a great lens to get acquainted with your 5D Mk II while you shop for your ultimate lens.

What on earth is going on here? Three inches above the cursor as I type, he says he's already bid on five Mark III's. How did a Mark II get back in the picture?

I was also wondering when I changed my mind.

No wins tonight. I can't believe what these are sellling for!!! One just sold used for $2051 plus shipping. I can buy a refurbished for $2239 with a Canon USA warranty. Why would someone spend that much on a used one?

I could have sworn that when I read the post it said you were bidding on a 5D Mk II. I apologize for the error. 

p.s. can your marriage afford it?

@TTMartin wrote:

I could have sworn that when I read the post it said you were bidding on a 5D Mk II. I apologize for the error. 

p.s. can your marriage afford it?

All that takes is common sense and a little bit of luck. Early in our marriage, when my wife's old Sears 35mm crapped out, I asked her what camera she wanted as a replacement. Her answer: "One that can use your lenses." I had a Nikon F-2, so I got her a Nikkormat and a 50mm f/2 (a lens I didn't have that was reputed to be sharper than the f/1.4 I did have). It's been smooth sailing ever since!

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

All that takes is common sense and a little bit of luck. Early in our marriage, when my wife's old Sears 35mm crapped out, I asked her what camera she wanted as a replacement. Her answer: "One that can use your lenses." I had a Nikon F-2, so I got her a Nikkormat and a 50mm f/2 (a lens I didn't have that was reputed to be sharper than the f/1.4 I did have). It's been smooth sailing ever since!

My wife has gotten into birding, and now as long as it's a birding camera or lens it's OK. She's bought herself a 40D (wth 800 clicks on the shutter) and has adopted my Sigma 150-500 OS. I bought her and SX50 now she carries both. 

I carry a classic 7D and a Sigma 120-300 f2.8 with either a 1.4X or 2X TC and an Induro M34 Monopod (64"/39# rating).

TTMartin check out the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens.  It is unbelieable.  It is heavy but it goes with the territory for a lens in this caliber.

Outstanding bird lens!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

TTMartin check out the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens.  It is unbelievable.  It is heavy but it goes with the territory for a lens in this caliber.

Outstanding bird lens!

Without a weight savings, I'll just stick with the 120-300 f/2.8 and TCs. I've considered the EF 100-400 IS II at almost half the weight of the Sigmas (150-600 Sport or 120-300 f/2.8).

But, my ultimate goal is a big white most likely the EF 600mm f/4 IS II a couple pounds heavier than the Sigmas, but, in my opinion worth it. 

I'm working on getting the most out of the gear I have until then. 

"But, my ultimate goal is a big white most likely the EF 600mm f/4 IS II a couple pounds heavier than the Sigmas ..."

And then there's that cost factor again.  Is it worht it?

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"But, my ultimate goal is a big white most likely the EF 600mm f/4 IS II a couple pounds heavier than the Sigmas ..."

And then there's that cost factor again.  Is it worht it?

In my opinion, Yes

Think about it, the OP of this thread is about to spend 1/3 of the cost of that lens.

"Think about it, the OP of this thread is about to spend 1/3 of the cost of that lens."

You lost me? Relevance?

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Think about it, the OP of this thread is about to spend 1/3 of the cost of that lens."

You lost me? Relevance?

Image quality improvement per dollar spent.

Announcements