cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Lense options

DriveByShooting
Contributor

Hi I am a true amatuer photography. I take pics just for fun, nothing else until now. My daughter wants me to do her senior pictures. They will be all out doors. I use a Canon Rebel EOS XSI. I have 2 lenses, the standard EF-S 18-55mm and also EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS.

1.Any suggestions on any other types of lenses?

2.Also I do a lot of landscape pics of Lighthouses, Lake Michigan, Farm land. I would like a lense that zooms further out that doesn't need a stablizer. Any suggestions?

3.I know my camera is old. I think I have had mine for 8-9 years, It still seems to work fine. Should I invest in a newer model before I buy expensive lenses or are they a standard fit since I will stick with Canon?

Thanks all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A few tips as I do lots and lots of Senior photos every year.  As in most of photography the three main most things are location, location and location.  For the best most meaningful shots you need to have your Senior holding things that say, "This is me."

Put her in a place or several places she loves or likes and frequents.  In front of the school for instance.  Is she outdoors or indoors?  Music or sports, etc?  That type thing.  Make it natural and not look posed.

35mm, f8, 1/180 using a EOS 1D Mk IV

_52D6666.jpg

50mm, f9, 1/500

_DS32738-Edit.jpg

One last thing get and learn how to use a good post editor.  I like and use Lightroom and Photoshop.  It is the only way to get that truly great shot because you need to set the camera for Raw format.  Good luck and have fun with it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I use a Canon Rebel EOS XSI. I have 2 lenses, the standard EF-S 18-55mm ..."

That wil work.  Smiley Happy

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A few tips as I do lots and lots of Senior photos every year.  As in most of photography the three main most things are location, location and location.  For the best most meaningful shots you need to have your Senior holding things that say, "This is me."

Put her in a place or several places she loves or likes and frequents.  In front of the school for instance.  Is she outdoors or indoors?  Music or sports, etc?  That type thing.  Make it natural and not look posed.

35mm, f8, 1/180 using a EOS 1D Mk IV

_52D6666.jpg

50mm, f9, 1/500

_DS32738-Edit.jpg

One last thing get and learn how to use a good post editor.  I like and use Lightroom and Photoshop.  It is the only way to get that truly great shot because you need to set the camera for Raw format.  Good luck and have fun with it.

EB

Great thanks for the tips

Announcements