cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking For A Similar Lens To Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM Lens

tsteezyj
Apprentice

I'm looking for a similar lens to the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens that will fit on my Canon T6i.

Does anyone have any reccomenedations?

Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Take a look at the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM.  It is a great lens.  It has an all-metal body, internal focusing and zooming.  It is probably one of the best EF-S lenses out there.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Some possible options:

Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8

Sigma DC 18-35 f1.8 Art <<< (nice lens)

Sigma DC 17-50 f2.8

Sigma DC 17-70 f2.8~4 (only mentioning this one cause I owned it)

First 3 are my top choices.  I might typically recommend sticking with Canon, but there isn't much there in this focal length comparable to "L" glass.  The Sigma Art lens has a proven track record. I would recommend pairing the T6i with an APS-C lens due to your focal length requirement.  It all comes down to buget and with lenses, you get what you pay for.   

Let's see what others say.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the reply! 

I'm trying to get a similar look when shooting portraits to the photo I attached.

Looks like a wide angle lense but I think it goes back to the focal length you're talking about.

Would any of the lenses you mentioned help achieving this look?

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 9.59.50 AM.png

If it is a 16-35mm WA zoom is what you want the 16-28mm Tok is pretty close.  I have heard, no personal experience with but,  the f4 version of the Canon 16-35mm WA zoom is a pretty good lens. I wanted the faster f2.8 aperture, that is why I opted for the Tokina over the Canon.

My copy of the f2.8 Canon is unusable at f2.8. I sell photos so I can not have blurry images.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@tsteezyj wrote:

Thanks for the reply! 

I'm trying to get a similar look when shooting portraits to the photo I attached.

Looks like a wide angle lense but I think it goes back to the focal length you're talking about.

Would any of the lenses you mentioned help achieving this look?

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 9.59.50 AM.png

What is not clear is what type angle of view, on what type of image sensor,  are you looking for?  Your sample shot looks to be much wider than 16mm on an APS-C sensor.  I loved my EF-S 10-22mm lens, which has a 77mm filter thread.  Sharp!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@tsteezyj

We can see you are definitely looking for a wider field of view.

I recommended an APS-C lens because of this.  I own the mkii of the 16-35 f2.8.  Mine is sharp even wide open. 

But I would still recommend you sticking with a lens designed for your sensor.  You don't have to do this as long as you account for the decreased FOV.  A canon 24mm pancake is another option.  Its designed for APS-C and is faster at f2.8.

Its a good street photography lens if you have the flexibility to move around when composing your shots. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@tsteezyj wrote:

I'm looking for a similar lens to the Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM lens that will fit on my Canon T6i.

Does anyone have any reccomenedations?

Thanks!

I guess we're assuming that by "similar" you mean "having approximately the same field of view on your T6i as the EF 16-35mm f/4L lens has on a full-frame camera". Because the 16-35 will certainly "fit" on a T6i or any other APS-C camera. It's the other way around (an EF-S lens on a FF camera) that doesn't work.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I don't know how good the f4 version of the 16-35mm is, since I have never used one.  I do know I will not buy a f2.8 16-35mm version again. I do have that version and replaced it with the excellent Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 FF Lens for Canon EF.  You will like the Tok!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I don't know how good the f4 version of the 16-35mm is, since I have never used one.  I do know I will not buy a f2.8 16-35mm version again. I do have that version and replaced it with the excellent Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 FF Lens for Canon EF.  You will like the Tok!

I've been very happy with the f/4 version. I bought it because it was considered to be a bit sharper than the original release of the f/2.8, which was current at the time. (And because I saw it as an outdoor lens. For the event photography I was doing at the time, I rarely used a WA lens indoors.) When the f/2.8 Mk II came out, it was highly regarded by the critics, who pronounced it at least as sharp as the f/4. Frankly, Ernie, I thought I remembered you as one of those praising it at the time, but I guess I was wrong about that.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements