cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenses

2ndaryInsanity
Apprentice
If you could only have 3 lenses, what would you choose and why? Also, which focal lengths would you recommend for landscapes, portraits, and architecture? I know I need a wide angle, but am not sure what else. I don't have the money to buy 4 or more lenses right now, so I'm limiting myself to 3.
Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

Op has one body not 2 or 3. And it is a crop.  

As much as I love the 70-200 it does not sound like it is in his budget to get 2 or 3 lenses if one or two of them are going to be $1,800.00 apiece.  

Additionally none one of his stated uses were telephoto. 

Although the precise budget was not stated, everything is about coming up with a working compromise that fits the budget. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

Op has one body not 2 or 3. And it is a crop.  ...

Obviously he told you more than he told us.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

In many instances a second body can be about the same price as a lens, and the versatility of having it may outweigh having more lenses in the bag. If however we're trying to put a budget set of gear in the bag that most will find adaquate for general situations & their primary goal is viewing via a monitor rather than making large prints most current superzooms will fit their needs with the exception of low light photography. One Superzoom, one ultra wide & one fast lens like the 50 f1.4.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

"One Superzoom, one ultra wide & one fast lens like the 50 f1.4." 

I still say the best approach would be to invest in one very good lens, instead of 3-4 mediocre lenses.  But, we still do not know what type of camera, nor lenses, that the OP owns.  For now, every suggestion is moot, including my own.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements