cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenses

PatLP
Apprentice
A friend of mine gave me a Canon EOS Rt with a promaster 100-400mm AF F4.5-6.7MC lens and a Canon EF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 lens. Will these lenses work with my canon Rebel T3i?
5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Wow, a EOS RT, that is a blast from the past.  It is a film camera you know, not a DSLR.  It's mirror doesn't move when it takes a picture.  It uses EF lenses, however, so if a lens fit it, it will bolt to a currect (T3i) DSLR camera.

The Canon EF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 lens is on it's 3rd or 4th reinvention.  I am guessing you have the original if it was for the RT.

But it should work on your T3i.  They are OK so-so lenses.

My personal opinion of Promaster 'anything' is they are crummy.  Not worth anything, not money nor time.  That said with the proper version, which I would guess you have, it too will hook up to your T3i.  Some folks sware by them and some folks sware at them.  They are not for me. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

[...]

My personal opinion of Promaster 'anything' is they are crummy.  Not worth anything, not money nor time.  [...]

While I'm sure you're correct regarding Promaster lenses, I have a set of Promaster Digital Extension Tubes that are well built and work flawlessly.

-------------------------------------
http://trulandphoto.zenfolio.com/
http://trulandphoto.blogspot.com/

PatLP
Apprentice
ebiggs1, the EOS RT came out in 1989. I love collecting old cameras and lenses. This one is in perfect condition so I'm excited. I have multiple lenses for my T3i so I was thinking if these old lenses would work with my T3i, I would add them to my collection.

The "EF" in the name is the key.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

PatLP wrote:
A friend of mine gave me a Canon EOS Rt with a promaster 100-400mm AF F4.5-6.7MC lens and a Canon EF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 lens. Will these lenses work with my canon Rebel T3i?

Becaue the Promaster 100-400mm is f/6.7 at the long end, it might not auto focus on the T3i. Generally you need f/5.6 or faster for AF.  There is also a good chance the aperture control will cause a camera error if you shoot  stopped down. This is pretty common error with old 3rd party film era AF lenses.    

Mike Sowsun
Announcements