cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenses for Canon EOS Rebel SL3

aksarhils53
Apprentice

I'm thinking of buying my first camera, although I have some experience taking photos I have never own a camera. After some research based on my experience and budget I think my best choice is the CANON EOS REBEL SL3. What do you think?

What I'm not sure about is which lenses to buy. Some people tell me to buy cheap so I can practice and others tell me to buy more expensive because later I can used the in other cameras. Also I don't know which sizes is better for me. I like landscape, street and portrait.

Thanks a lot for your help.

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Go ahead and start with the kit 18-55. While not the best, it is far from the worst.

Once you use it for a while, you can see whether it fits into your vision and, if not, what lenses you might need to fulfill that vision.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'm thinking of buying my first camera,... I'm not sure about is which lenses to buy."

It is considered best advice to buy the best lens possible.  It is the lens that makes the picture not the camera. The camera is merely a storage device.  Of course that is simplistic but it conveys which is the most important.  But by far and away consensus is, good lenses last and cameras don't.

However, the SLx line of cameras bring a unique consideration to this thought.  IMHO, a person that buys a SLx camera wants a smaller DSLR.  For whatever reason, perhaps a smaller body type or smaller hands, need to carry smaller gear, some other size related reason, whatever. Again, IMHO, for most of us just wanting to start in the hobby the Rebel T8i makes better, more,  sense.

I still lean towards buying the best lenses you can but it makes little sense to put huge lenses on a SLx if size was the factor in choosing it in the first place. I would not be opposed to buying the SL3 kit with the standard kit lens.  But keep in mind if you take off in this hobby you will most likely be buying a replacement lens for that kit lens. This means you are buying the same thing twice.  Not good if budget is an issue. Besides it is money that could have been put to expanding your gear instead of upgrading it.

You need to decide that.

I know people that have one of the SLx cameras and the kit lens and are totally happy with it. And, even if you do get bit by the photography bug and want better gear the SL3 would make a nice backup rig.

As a starter don't fall for the 50mm as a good lens to begin with. It isn't. It is a more specialized lens that can be added later if a need ever arises. My bottom line, the kit lens is better than no lens but if you have the notion you will be going farther the way better EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is my recommendation.

SL3/T8i body only and the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens will stick with you for a good long time. Don't buy any other lenses at this time.  Take time to learn what you want.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I advise not adding to your lens collection until you figure out how to use the camera.  I do not advise buying anything cheap, because it is good money being thrown away.  However, the borderline between cheap and good is highly mutable, and a topic of great debate.  

The SL-3 is good camera for its' niche.  It is great for shooting "talking head" videos for YoTube.  It has excellent video features in a compact package.  It would also be ideal for video conferencing.

It is also a great camera for small hands and casual shooters, the type who only bring out their camera for special occasions, not the everyday shooter.  You do not sound like the type to only bring out the camera occasions, more the everyday shooter.

I suggest that you visit your local camera store, or a Best Buy, and get a little hand on, touchy-feely time with an SL-3.  It may not be a good fit in your hands.  Pick up the other cameras, too.  I have big hands, so it is a bit small for me to use everyday.  It would be perfect for the occasional use when I want to travel light.

The Canon Online Refurbished Store is probalby the best place to buy Canon gear at a discount.  Here is your SL-3.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/refurbished-rebel-sl3-efs-18-55m-is-stm-lens-kit-black 

Check out some of the other deals being offered.  It is the time of the year when Black Friday comes around.  I expect better deals before the month is over, probably within a week or two.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements