cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenses for 5D Mark IV and Canon T2i Rebel

MadiBaine
Apprentice

Hi guys- 

I was gifted a camera for my acceptance into my study abroad and I'm trying to decide what to get. I have a Rebel T2i and I was thinking about getting a Mark IV. Here's the thing my budget is 1600 so anything over I'm paying and as a full-time student reaching to price tag with a lens is just not feasible right now. 

That being said. 

I was wondering if my Rebel lenses would fit the body of the Mark IV and if so if that would be a good way to cut my overall cost. Other ideas are appreciated (and if you know where to get cheaper lenses lmk!

17 REPLIES 17

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

It depends on whether your lenses are EF-S or straight EF. EF-S lenses will not fit on a Mark IV.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What are the specific features you are considering the Mark IV for? Did you look at the later Rebels or the 80D?

https://versus.com/en/canon-eos-5d-mark-iv-vs-canon-eos-80d

Also, look into Canon refurbs.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-interchangeable-lens-cameras

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

@MadiBaine wrote:

Hi guys- 

I was gifted a camera for my acceptance into my study abroad and I'm trying to decide what to get. I have a Rebel T2i and I was thinking about getting a Mark IV. Here's the thing my budget is 1600 so anything over I'm paying and as a full-time student reaching to price tag with a lens is just not feasible right now. 

That being said. 

I was wondering if my Rebel lenses would fit the body of the Mark IV and if so if that would be a good way to cut my overall cost. Other ideas are appreciated (and if you know where to get cheaper lenses lmk!

It seems like you are saying your gifted budget is $1,600 (you can't buy a 5D Mk IV for $1,600)  Or is your budget $1,600 for just lenses? 

Since you are a student on a "budget" you should not buy a full frame 5D Mk IV.

I would recommend getting a Canon 80D because then all the lenses you currently use with your Rebel T2i will fit the 80D.

Most people would have EF-S lenses for their Rebel T2i cameras and maybe 1 or 2 EF lenses. If you were to get a full frame 5D Mk IV, any EF-S lenses you have will not fit. PLUS.... any EF lenses you might have will now suddenly appear to have a much shorter focal length.

Going full frame is an expensive proposition because it usually means you need to spend a lot of money buying new lenses to cover wide angle to telephoto. 

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have a Rebel T2i and I was thinking about getting a Mark IV."

Sell or donate the T2i and whatever lenses you have to some worthy person and buy an 80D. Get the 80D without a lens. Buy the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  Brand new this top drawer combo is outstanding and will take you far but does exceed your $1600 by a couple hundred. But well worth it plus you may be able to get it for less in the refurb store.

Forget the Mk IV idea. Its too expensive and the gear I suggested will do everything you want at a high level

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BTW, not many people will mention a T2i and a 5D Mk IV in the same sentence.  Smiley Happy

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

BTW, not many people will mention a T2i and a 5D Mk IV in the same sentence.  Smiley Happy

Well, I'm one of them. I own a 5D4, and my wife was very happy with her T2i. At the time it came out, and for the price at which it sold, it was one of the best cameras Canon had ever made. And although Martha gets very good pictures with her 7D2, she won't let go of the T2i, because she likes its lighter weight.

So, Madi, the only reason I can think of for you not to hold onto the T2i, as at least a backup or secondary camera, is that when travelling abroad, you might need to keep the size and weight of your belongings as low as possible.

If you really think you need a new camera (a position I wouldn't necessarily try to dispute), the 80D is as good a choice as any. In your situation it makes no sense whatever to consider a full-frame camera like the 5D4. I also wouldn't choose a mirrorless camera like the R series. Mirrorless cameras are clearly the wave of the future, but they have a ways to go before that happens. Unless you're really serious about photography and have more money at your disposal than you've implied, I can't think of a good reason for you to be a pioneer just now. BTW, although your EF-S lenses will work on the R with the appropriate adapter, you will lose resolution, because the image produced by the lens will not cover the available space on the sensor.

Bottom line advice: Buy a new or refurb crop-frame camera if you want one, and spend any leftover funds on improving your lens collection.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"...your EF-S lenses will work on the R with the appropriate adapter..."

Adapters and/or lens converters are never the best solution.

EB

R adapters are no problem because they have no glass and the adapter acts like the mirror box on a DSLR. You can even get extra functionality since one of the adapters has a control ring!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Did you mean to say a Canon 6D Mark II?  

A Canon 5D IV is about $3k USD for a new "body only".

A Canon 6D II Is about $1500 USD for a new "body only".

A Canon 5D & 6D body are "full frame" sensor bodies.  The imaging sensor measures 36mm wide by 24mm tall.

A T2i uses an "APS-C" size sensor which is only 60% as wide & tall (roughly 22.5mm wide by 15mm tall).

Canon lenses meant for use on full frame bodies are "EF" series, and a few specialty lenses (TS-E series are tilt-shift lenses and the MP-E is a special extreme macro-photo lens).  These lenses project an image circle into the camera body which is large enough to completely fill the 36mm x 24mm sensor.

Canon lenses meant for use an APS-C bodies are "EF-S" series lenses.  These lenses project an image circle into the camera which is large enough to fill the 22.5mm x 15mm sensor but is NOT large enough to fill the frame of a 36mm x 24mm sensor.  More importantly, the EF-S lenses have a rear element that slightly protrudes into the camera body.  The mirror on a full-frame camera is larger than the mirror on an APS-C body and will hit the back of the lens when it tries to swing clear to take a shot.  For this reason, you CANNOT use an "EF-S" lens on a full-frame body (and Canon designed the camera body so it wont even let you mount the lens.)

You can go the other way... all "full frame" lenses will work on the Canon APS-C bodies ... in addition the APS-C lenses.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements