cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenses for 5D Mark IV and Canon T2i Rebel

MadiBaine
Apprentice

Hi guys- 

I was gifted a camera for my acceptance into my study abroad and I'm trying to decide what to get. I have a Rebel T2i and I was thinking about getting a Mark IV. Here's the thing my budget is 1600 so anything over I'm paying and as a full-time student reaching to price tag with a lens is just not feasible right now. 

That being said. 

I was wondering if my Rebel lenses would fit the body of the Mark IV and if so if that would be a good way to cut my overall cost. Other ideas are appreciated (and if you know where to get cheaper lenses lmk!

17 REPLIES 17

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@MadiBaine wrote:

Hi guys- 

I was gifted a camera for my acceptance into my study abroad and I'm trying to decide what to get. I have a Rebel T2i and I was thinking about getting a Mark IV. Here's the thing my budget is 1600 so anything over I'm paying and as a full-time student reaching to price tag with a lens is just not feasible right now. 

That being said. 

I was wondering if my Rebel lenses would fit the body of the Mark IV and if so if that would be a good way to cut my overall cost. Other ideas are appreciated (and if you know where to get cheaper lenses lmk!

First, and foremost, the EOS 5D Mark IV has a list price that just about double your stated budget.  Let’s rule that camera out of the running, but there is another body to consider, the EOS RP.  It is well within your budget, so I would give it a look.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-rp-body

I already own a full frame camera body, so this camera body is not on my list of camera bodies that interest me.  But, Canon has not marketed this camera body for someone like me.  It is perfect for someone like you.  The EOS RP is designed for someone with an APS-C body and EF-S lenses looking for an upgrade path to a full frame camera body.

Canon is currently offering the EOS RP with a free EF-EOS-R mount adapter for your EF/EF-S lenses, a free body EG-E1 grip, and a free memory card. This camera is perfect for the casual shooter.  

The EOS RP is not made for the type of high performance needed by professional sports photographers.  It is more than capable of capturing very high quality stills and HD Video for family memories or social media.  It is designed to be a high performance photo/video extension to a smart phone, or a tablet like an iPad.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

MadiBaine
Apprentice
Hi guys! So I’ve come to the conclusion that the Mark IV isn’t for me, as many of you mention it is very expensive and it’s unreasonable for the price since my lenses don’t work with it. If they had I had found the body for 2100 on amazon so it would’ve only been $500 but it doesn’t. I know it seems kinda weird to go from a T2i to a much much much better newer model but the T2i was a gift in high school and this new camera will be an investment for the future. I’d like a camera with 4K video that works with my lenses so I went to look and am now thinking the eos R. Is there any reason I should be wary of the EOS R? And with the adapter it should work with the T2i lenses if I’m not mistaken?

@MadiBaine wrote:
Hi guys! So I’ve come to the conclusion that the Mark IV isn’t for me, as many of you mention it is very expensive and it’s unreasonable for the price since my lenses don’t work with it. If they had I had found the body for 2100 on amazon so it would’ve only been $500 but it doesn’t. I know it seems kinda weird to go from a T2i to a much much much better newer model but the T2i was a gift in high school and this new camera will be an investment for the future. I’d like a camera with 4K video that works with my lenses so I went to look and am now thinking the eos R. Is there any reason I should be wary of the EOS R? And with the adapter it should work with the T2i lenses if I’m not mistaken?

I almost can guarantee you that that deal was ripoff, and the camera was a lemon and did not include a warranty.  NEVER buy big ticket items on Amazon, most especially when it comes to electronics.  You cannot always tell who the seller is.  

Stick to only buying from authorized Canon dealers, who will always sell the same products at the same price.

So, on that note, the EOS R is also way out of your budget.  My advice is to stick to the EOS RP.  I think it is best fit for your stated needs, even including the new one for 4K video.  Every DSLR or mirrorless camera currently on the market within your budget makes some sort of compromise to create 4K video.  You will not get the best of both worlds, photos and videos, for you rbudget.

"...I’d like a camera with 4K video that works with my lenses ..."

I think I would drop that requirement at your budget. Also, adapters are ALWAYS an issue.Smiley Sad Not the best. The 80D is still the most complete suggestion for you. It comes the closest to what you want and closest to your budget.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Also, adapters are ALWAYS an issue.

One cannot say “always” anymore than one can say “never.”  

I would think Canon would know how to make an adapter for their own gear.  They do not contain any optics.  If Canon’s teleconverters are any measure, the RF mount adapters should offer reliable, high quality performance.

MadiBaine
Apprentice
My budget to spend personally over the $1600 I was given is $1000 so if I can use my lenses I should be within that I’m thinking

Buy the 80D stick the rest in your pocket and start taking pictures.  Believe me you don't want to fool around with adapters especially when you don't have to.  Just something else to complicate things.

Still the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is mighty tempting but it is over budget! Just what lenses do you already have?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@MadiBaine wrote:
My budget to spend personally over the $1600 I was given is $1000 so if I can use my lenses I should be within that I’m thinking

The 80D is a great camera.  It would be an excellent upgrade from a T2i.  If I wanted to stick with an APS-C sensor body, the 80D would be my choice.  It has been the best bang for the buck camera in the Canon lineup since it was introduced.

But, if you are interested in a full frame sensor body, then the EOS RP is a very good choice.  Like I said, it was designed to be an upgrade path for Rebel shooters into the world of full frame sensor bodies.  

There is nothing wrong, or bad, with the Canon lens adapter, which allows you to use EF or EF-S lenses with it.  If you have any EF lenses then you will get 26 MP images.  With EF-S lenses, you will get 12 MP images, but with much lower noise than your current T2i.

Announcements