cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lense hood for 18mm-55mm not fitting right

AllenP
Contributor

I am an extreme newby to "real" cameras.  I'm stepping up from a point and shoot and recently purchased a Canon EOS T6 Rebel kit with the 18/55mm and the 75/300mm lenses.  I went to my local camera shop trying to find a lense hood for it, but I couldn't find one that fit properly.  According to the camera shop guy that was helping me, the books call for a Canon EW-63C hood for the 18/55 lense.  When we try the hood on the lense, it doesn't seem to lock securly.  

So, here are my questions, is there a different lense hood that I should be trying?  Has anyone else had this issue with hoods?  Any suggestions would be helpful.

8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

That hood is the correct one for the Canon 18-55.  When connecting a hood to the lens it is easy to get the hood cross threaded in which case it will not fit snugly.   Also if they have more than one copy of the lens hood, try another one.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Which version of the 18-55 did you receive with your T6 kit?

The EW-63C lens hood only fits the EF-S 18-55mm STM lens. 

The Canon T6 is an entry level camera and is usually bundled with the older (cheaper) versions of the 18-55. If you have another version of the 18-55, the EW-63C will not fit.

You probably have the 18-55 IS II or 18-55 III, and the EW-60C is the correct lens hood for your lens. 

E6F936A9-8DF0-4384-BEE0-DCD7F3956B70.jpeg

27907619-10C7-4FEB-ACF7-B53653E59938.jpeg

92F3EA09-A094-407E-8293-635BFF757935.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

THAT makes sense... I vaguely wondered if the lens configuration would have changed and thought surely not, and could not find an easy reference to check that thought, but your comment seems right on the button!  Go figure...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Mike, you are spot on.  I doubled checked based upon your response and yes, I have the 18-55 IS II.  I totally buffudles me the number of lenses and the variations of the same size lense.  I am a complete newby to this.  I guess it is the learning curve.

One more question regarding this.  Is there a magic book/website that shows this information or do you guys just know this stuff??

With experience comes wisdom. Smiley Wink

All of the information is listed on our website, you just have to know where to look. 

For this lens, it's right HERE

Once you're on that page, click on the "Supplies and Accessories" tab, and you'll see multiple sections for all of the accessories that work that lens specifically. 

Being a novice, don't worry if it's overwhelming! This community is amazing, and you can always call us directly, and our team is expertly trained to know not only what goes with what, but our support team are all trained photographers, so they can offer shooting advice and tips as well!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Probably the single most best add-on you can do is use a lens hood.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

AllenP
Contributor
Thank you all. Your help is invaluable and greatly appreciated.

Announcements