cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lense Adapter for 60D Camera

osuiloveyou
Apprentice

I recently bought a used Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 L Lens and did not realize it would not fit on my canon 60D. Is there some sort of adapter that I can purchase to make this lense compatible with my camera?

23 REPLIES 23

Skirball
Authority

Yes, there are adapters, but all of them have their limitations.  If you search for Canon FD to EOS mount you'll see plenty. 

The really cheap ones are just a ring that match up the mounts.  They prevent any kind of autofocus, and many will even prevent you from changing the aperture.  They'll also prevent you from focusing at distant objects, so they're really only good for macros.

There are also some cheap ones that have optics in them, allowing autofocus.  But the optics are poor and the image quality suffers dramatically.

Then you have the Canon adapter, which has quality optics in it.  But it's quite expensive (~$500+) and will only work with a few lenses.

If you have the option to return the lens, I would.  Sorry, but it's more trouble than it's worth.  It'd be one thing if you had a whole collection of expensive FD lenses.  Barring that, stick with EF/EF-S mounts.

The Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 L is an exceptional piece of glass and routinely sells for about $700 - $1,000

If you can afford to buy this lens, I think it is well worth the time and effort to make it usable on today's modern DSLR's like your 60D.  

You can have it professionally modified for about $250 or buy a do it yourself kit from EdMika for about $99:   

http://www.edmika.com/#

fd85l2.jpgFD85L1a.jpg

Mike Sowsun

Hi Mike!

Is there a comparable lense that you would recommend for the 60D.  I'm thinking about returning this one and forgoing the hassel of trying to find someone local to modify it professionally.

thank you so much for your help!

Nikki

How much did you pay for that lens?

How much do you want to spend? 

Does it have to be 85mm and f/1.2  ?

The comparable lens for the 60D would be the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II but it costs $2,100.00 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423691-USA/Canon_1056B002AA_EF_85mm_f_1_2L_II.html 

There was also a earlier version of this lens which you could probably find used for about $1,000.00

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Lenses-/3323/i.html?LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_from=R40%7CR40&_sop=15&_nkw=Can...

Mike Sowsun

Thank you for the link.  I spend $800 with shipping for the lense.  I don't want to go to far over that price. It does NOT have to be the 85mm and f/1.2 - I want a lense that lets lots of light in for better indoor shots and a nice bokeh and this lense was recommended to me for that purpose. I'm up for suggestions.

I would recommend the Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM or Canon EF 85mm 1.8 USM as they are both very good lenses that let in lots of light. 

You can buy them used for about $300, or about $400 each new. 

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

I would recommend the Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM or Canon EF 85mm 1.8 USM as they are both very good lenses that let in lots of light. 

You can buy them used for about $300, or about $400 each new. 

I've also been pretty happy with my Sigma 85mm 1.4, but that comes with the caveat that you have to be prepared to micro-focus.  Really though, you should be prepared to microfocus on any fast primes.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I recently bought a used Canon FD 85mm f/1.2 L Lens ..."

No matter how good this 'FD' lens is/was, it is not worth any effort, money or time trying to convert it to EF.  If you can send it back for a refund, do it.  The lens was made in the past and should remain in the past.  Sorry, but that is the fact.  Beleive me I have tried everyway possibile to do this with several FD lenses and it always ends up a dissappointment.

The best 85mm currently is the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM.  That is a hair splitting statement as the Canon 85mm f1.2 is darn good also.  But the Siggy is just that tad bit better and is under a grand.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If that didn't talk you out of it, the Ed Mika adapter is the best.  It is as good as it gets in adapters.  Plus Ed is a great guy and will assist you if he can help.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements