cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens turns more than it should

massa1990
Apprentice

Good afternoon,

I have question regarding Canon 85mm 1.8 USM lens. Once put on the camera, it sits nice, and works perfectly fine, but when I want to take it off, the lens does not line up with the dot on the camera ( marked point ) you can turn it all around , almost a full circle. 

Anyone had similar expirience, and if so, can you share your experience and opinions?

Have a great day. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There's a small post on the mounting which acts as a rotation stop.  If that stop is gone then the lens can continue to rotate beyond the point where the red dots align.

Here's a photo in which I've circled the stop.  Your lens may be missing this part.

VO3A5948.jpg

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ScottyP
Authority

It kind of sounds like the lens mount is somehow not connected to the lens and is spinning freely.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There's a small post on the mounting which acts as a rotation stop.  If that stop is gone then the lens can continue to rotate beyond the point where the red dots align.

Here's a photo in which I've circled the stop.  Your lens may be missing this part.

VO3A5948.jpg

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks TCampbell, that is the case. Will see if there is posibility of getting that part spare. 

Thank you all for trying to help! 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Once put on the camera, it sits nice, and works perfectly fine, ..."

So you are saying it does indeed line up when you install it?  If it did not, it would not work as the contacts will not be 'contacting'!

But when you push the button to remove it, you can turn it past the red dot?  Look to see it the release button on the camera is sticking.  I doubt you lost the stop pin on the lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements