cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens suggestions for the 70D

sjp711
Contributor

Hey photo people! I'm looking into buying the Canon 70D but I can't decide on what lens to purchase with the camera or if I should stick with the lens that comes in the kit. This is my first "fancy" camera purchase so it's a little challenging for me as far as knowing what to buy and what will fit my expectations. I really enjoy capturing the "bokeh" effect images so I'm thinking that I want the 50mm 1.8 or the 50mm 1.4 for sure which will be my second lens. As for my primary lens, I want something that will capture my 1yr old daughter running around, such as candid shots. Also, family photos,  special events (indoor and outdoor), our local motocross races, maybe even perhaps a wedding or two if I get lucky. My best friend asked me to do her maturity photos coming up soon, so mainly stuff like that. I don't do wildlife, travel, etc. With all of that being said, I'm seeking help in more experienced photographers to help guide me in the right direction in hopes to narrow down my hunt for a great lens that I won't regret buying or putting money into but also within my budget. 

I went to a local camera store earlier today and the gentleman who was helping me tried selling me the Canon 24-105mm F4 lens. What are your thoughts on that lens? Should I spend that much? I've been doing some research and I noticed that a lot of Canon fans are recommending to stay with the lens that comes in the kit. I've also read a lot about the 10-22mm lens. This hunt is overwhelming, especially since I'm still pretty new to learning the higher-end camera equipment. What would be the ideal general purpose lens that I can keep mounted most of the time for the types of photos that I want to capture? The lens part is challenging for me because I don't really know what I'm buying but I'm trying to be patient as I reach out for help. I'm slowly getting into photography and have some events coming up that friends and family asked me to photograph for practice so I want to be ready, well as ready as I can be. So, what is a good list of lens I should be looking at for the 70D and also for the type of photos I listed above? Please help. Any advice, suggestions, opinions and/or referrals are welcome. Thanks x a million everyone! 

With appreciation, 

Sammy Jo 🙂 

28 REPLIES 28

Are you referring to specifically the 6D kit? Because correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all of those camera bodies compatible for the 24-105mm lens?

Sammy Jo,

The point here is get the best lens you can.  The "L" line-up in Canon's stable are the best and some are even the best lenses on the planet.  The lens is the most important part of any photographers bag.

If you are serious and really take to this hobby, or profession, you will be buying "L" glass sooner or later.  The point, why not just start there and buy it once.  Especially when this "L" lens is so affordable as most Canon "L" glass is impossibile for most people to afford.

If you buy a T5i, or a 70D or even the 6D, these cameras will be passed up with newer modesl.  But the 24-105mm f4 will still be there and still work just as well as it ever did.  And may even made better by an upgraded camera.  The 24-105mm was introduced in 2005 and is still here going strong.  None of those cameras will be around in 10 years !

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@sjp711 wrote:
Thanks for explaining all of that for me. I feel like I learn something new everyday about photography and it's equipment which has been exciting for me. I was looking into the 70D, as mentioned but I got to thinking and now I'm considering buying the 6D with the basic lens for now. I've heard really, really amazing things about the 6D. I figure it might be more beneficial for me to focus on buying the more high-end camera now, learn, practice, get comfortable then I might I have a better understanding on what lenses to buy that will best fit my expectations. Just a thought, I could be wrong but I figured I would throw my idea out there to get some feedback on it.

Thanks 🙂

Sorry, but you have it backwards, in my opinion anyway.  Get good lenses before the camera.  Lenses will still be good in 5 years, the 6D will be old by then.  Earlier in this discussion you said that the 24-105 is way out of your budget... that lens is the "kit lens" for the 6D.  With only a few exceptions, the 6D requires expensive lenses. 

More importantly, I think the flexibility and performance that you would see out of a couple of good lenses and an ok camera is much greater than that of a good camera and one ok lens.  The above image isn't really a good example, it was just a fun shot... but it was done with a 450D; an ancient camera by today's standards.  A 600D or 700D will not 'hold you back', as a photographer.  Perhaps you'll have a few images taken in dim lighting that would have been better with a 6D, but most of the time you probably won't even notice the difference.  And others will probably be far better because you'll benefit from things available on consumer level cameras that aren't always on pro line, like flash (6D doesn't have one), or swivel screens, or auto modes.

"Will the 10-22 lens give me the fisheye look."

No it will not.  It does have some distortion as any WA lens will but htis one will still shoot pretty "normal" shots.  Only a very large angle of acceptence.

EB

Thank you for answeing my questions.

"The 24-105mm is way out of my budget right now ..."

One more thing, if you do intend on buying the 70D, with the kit lens, either the standard one or the f2.8 and the 55-250mm plus a 50mm f.14, you are certainly in the neighborhood of the 70D and a 24-105mm f4.  And to me that would be a huge better way to start out.  The lenses you are considering are consumer grade.  Nothing really wrong with them but they are not "L" quality pro lenses.

Think it over before you plop the cash down.  If ypu take to this fascinating hobby you will likely be in the "L" level sooner or later, so why not just start there.  Chceck out the cost differences first.

The 17-55mm f2.8 is around $900 bucks but a white box 24-105mm f4 L can be had for $700 to $750.  Sometimes even less.

So which is the best deal? Remember f2.8 is one stop faster than f4.  ONE STOP.  Smiley Wink

EB

ScottyP
Authority
The Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L fits all Canon DSLR's.
Any EF lens fits every Canon DSLR. (Both crop and full frame)
The EF 24-105 f/4 L is a high quality "L" lens, but it also happens to be the lens Canon will sell with its Full Frame cameras (including 6d) as a kit lens.

The EF-s lenses are the ones that only work on crop sensor cameras like 70d or T5i.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

mrz1342
Enthusiast
Hi based on my same question and advices here i understand we would have two options to set 70d gear for covering all peruses: first crop-lens-combo including 50 f1.4 + 70-200 f4L is + 60 f2.8 macro. Option 2: 24-70 f4L is + 70-200 f4L is + 100 f2.8 macro. Some professionals believe that ff lenses are not responding very well on apc crop cameras like 70d and some say its no problem you can us ff lenses on 70d just you need add a wide lens with lower focal range 10-20mm to your gear. And still even i am confusing 🙂 any pro advice?

"Option 2: 24-70 f4L is + 70-200 f4L is + 100 f2.8 macro."

This would be my choice, "Option 2: 24-70 f4L is + 70-200 f4L is + 100 f2.8 macro, ef-s10-22mm."  The macro needs to be a last lens to buy type thing.  With the other lenses, you may find you don't really need one or even want one.

It is complete nonsense to think you can not or should not use FF lenses on the 70D.  Where does this stuff come from? Smiley Frustrated

EB
Announcements