cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens refurbishing

mitchmcc
Enthusiast

I have a Canon 600mm lens that is at least 20 years old.   I feel like it does not focus as sharp as it used to.   Has anyone ever sent a lens back to Canon to have it refurbished?   Is this even possible?    If so, how did it work, and how much did it cost?

Thanks,

Mitch

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

You can send a lens back to Canon for check and repair if necessary, but I think your 20 year old lens is beyond the time period that Canon will service.

You could look into an idependent repair service. Where are you located?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I am in the greater Tampa, FL area....

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Google “camera repair tampa florida” I found three.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would call Canon.  It really doesn't make any difference how old the lens is but whether they still have parts still available.

The 600mm f4 is so loved and so used by the professional sports world and so expensive, I would not be surprised Canon still works on them. My 600mm is older than yours but I would still call Canon and ask.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Annotation 2019-12-22 133410.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I did a quick lookup to see which 600mm lenses were still actively repaired, and it looks like only the EF 600mm f/4L USM that came out back in 1988, and the EF 600mm f/4L IS USM that came out in 1999 are the only two (of the four) that we're not able to repair any longer. 

That's this one: 

I am sure that mine is one of those two.  Thanks for clarifying this, and thanks to all for replying!

Announcements